Entry from the Garage

Should the entry from the garage be elevated? I inspected this home today and the garage was in the basement…it was completely drywalled but for some reason I am thinking the entry door from the garage into a living space is suppose to be elevated due to the CO pollution hazard.

Help me understand…

The house is above the garage, already. What specifically would you elevate?

Elevation not required to my knowledge. That setup is unusual, but not a defect.

Ok I got out my Roy Newcomer book that talks about garages and it states that gas vapors are heavier than air and tend to hug the floor and any passage door from the garage to the house should be at least 4" above the level of the garage floor.
What do you guys think?

I’ve searched the IRC for it and it’s not there to my knowledge.

James there is a living room/ Family room in the basement as well adjacent to the garage

Thjere are areas around here where 80% of the houses have that type of construction. The basement, finished or not, is usually not considered a “living space”. It isn’t included in the square footage, as a rule, and doesn’t come under the scrutiny of the main living area.

It’s good practice, but not required as far as I know. The door should be sealed, which generally requires a threshold.

Jeff…would you call this out as a safety hazard or just leave it alone

If the door is not sealed, I would call it out. I can’t really tell by your picture if the bottom is sealed.

ok thanks guys