Failed under testing

Well, it finally happened to me. Testing a new overhead door/opener.
1st tested the photo sensors…no problems.
I don’t use an object other than the pressure of my hand to test the resistance auto-reverse.
Stuck my hand under and applied a little pressure…door kept going down. I let go and it was coming down and as I was approaching the button I noticed the door stop…but the opener kept going…before I could hit the button…CRUNCH!!:eek:

Homeowner came back and I immediately explained what happened. He said he installed it and said he had problems with it tracking right from the start…I could see he was not thrilled, but he said “well, it is what it is” nothing you could have done. He took responsibility for it…whew! Anyway, that was a first for me and it totally sucked seeing it happen.

Higgins 012.jpg

We are required by state law to test the reverse operation of all garage doors!

I wonder how many broken doors we have had the past year?!

From the photo, I can see that the operater reinforcement bar and door strut are missing.

http://www.clopaydoor.com/publicfiles/Reinforcing-Top-Section-for-Opener.pdf

An improperly installed (incomplete installation) door operator should not be tested as testing will generally result in what you have experienced.

Manufacturer also will not provide warranty coverage for improperly installed doors / operaters.

i had a similar situation a few days ago.
but when i did it, the lag screws holding the track in place came out of the wall.

no stud behind the drywall.

no one will ever be happy when an inspector does something like this, even if it’s not your fault, but think of the unhappy client months down the road if this was not discovered.

Quite true!

I have had over a dozen doors break under testing this year.
The door installation could not pass the testing procedure. Never had an owner complain, but I’m sure it will happen soon. I have the state licence board number to refer them to. I had that lag bolt issue several times! New construction. Just can’t seem to hit that header!

We have more that just a few children hurt from garage doors every year. What’s a loose bolt?!

I’ve been doing this over 28 years - had 2 break.

One had glass windows in door. When it didn’t reverse quickly enough the glass broke and cut my head as it fell (I was real glads I had not been looking up when the glass broke). The 2nd one was a light weight and single layer door - it buckled.

David if you’ve had 12 break this year alone, you are a record setter.

Our RE contract in KC says “a buyer has the right to inspect, but he will be responsible to pay for anything his inspector breaks”. So in my area your client would be responsible to pay for those 12 doors.

Sale of the home didn’t go thru as my clients backed out based on my report. Sellers realtor called…want’s me to pay for the damage.

I’d tell the Realtor thanks for the offer but no.

If the homeowner/installer had problems with it from the start he should have told you…it failed while testing.

G-d helps drunks, little children and NACHI inspectors :mrgreen:

Glad to hear it went well.

In my area our RE Contract gives the buyer the right to inspect anything BUT if anything gets broken - its the buyer or his inspectors responsibility to pay for fixing it.

Homeowner installation not properly conducted, failed during testing.

Who are you going to find to put it back together WRONG?

“In my area our RE Contract gives the buyer the right to inspect anything BUT if anything gets broken - its the buyer or his inspectors responsibility to pay for fixing it.”

I believe that the contracts state that the home must be left in the same condition that it was found in. But there is a big difference in ‘if anything gets broken’ and 'failed under test".

Not really in the seller or agents eyes. Its still the HI broke it.

When the installation is visibly deficient, the door should not be tested.

The Door Operator should be reported as “Not Inspected” noting the deficiency present along with a recommendation that testing be performed after the repairs are made by qualified contractors.

After breaking a door opener and paying for it, to say nothing of spending the better part of a day at a house, I stopped pressure-testing openers. Instead, I state that the opener is not equipped with an infra-red auto-reversing mechanism, which I recommend as a desirable safety feature. After I made that decision, my anxiety level in garages has gone down to zero.

Kevin,
What is status now? I would probably pay for it and chaulk it up to experience. Never test something that looks wrong! State why in your report! If the client backs out, at least you do not have to pay for the repair.
Currently I am waiting on a client backing out of one but I had marked the problem. The seller called me it later and freaked on me as he tried it and it broke. I stated that is why I did not test it. Now he has a home to sell and fix. I have nothing to fix.
What am I waiting for? The purchaser said he is looking at another house and would call me this week as “It was the best $350 he ever spent.” The quote will be in my website by end of week