First time I've come across this....

This is on a 30 year old home…

1st pic is from the inside…fixed panel on right, sliding door on left.
2nd pic is from outside view…fixed panel on left, sliding door on right.

This is an entry way into the master bedroom.

Jeff

Amazing that after all these years someone figured out it was installed inside/out… I wonder how they put the stick in the door…

I feel your pain.
Easy to miss ,so good catch.

The lock was busted on mine(from this summer)

Incredibly, I found that 5 or 6 times last year alone. Prior to that maybe twice in eight years. You would think the screen door would tip the people off who live in these houses.

I see outside sliders almost every day. I thought you were referring to the improper door size.

The door is properly installed as many manufacturer’s use this design.

Pella Door is one of them. (operable panel exterior, screen interior)

I agree with Joseph, this is factory design, even though I believe it’s is a very poor design. I have personally installed this type of slider before in the past, and it had me scratching my head on my first install, “What were they thinking”.

When I see the active panel on the outside… I’ll try to discern if there are weeps or other indications of the orientation of the frame… most of the time as guys have said above, it’s simply the way they are made.

Having said that… I can’t say I’ve run across a screen on the interior of a slider too many times, a window, yes… but a slider? I’d look at the frame to see, as mentioned how it drains water etc.

In our wind-blown northern Atlantic coast locale, I have inspected Pella wood windows that were 30+ years old and in good to great condition. This company has been manufacturing top-of line wooden windows for many years- I believe they know what they are doing.

If I could afford the Pella brand, it would be my choice in wooden windows.

I suggest you not dismiss this posting as my example was a way in if you lifted the door and pulled out the bottom.
Jeff has a 90 degree angle stop however mine did not even have that.

Pointing this out as a security risk in a metropolitan area is a good idea.

A Pella door (if properly installed and locked) can not be lifted and pulled out at the bottom.

If you are able to do that (with a Pella door), the installation is defective and not the fault of the manufacturer of the door.

OK ,great but please emphasize it is that type (only) designed that way as many new guys might overlook actual issues such as mine had.

If I can lift it out and get inside it is an issue no matter what.:wink:

The initial posting was that the door was installed backwards.
It is important to understand the features and designs of all doors so that proper recommendations can be made.
If the door was a Pella, and was reported as backwardly installed, the Inspector is going to look foolish which will call into question all of his reported observations.

Joe , what are the details in the design of a Pella that prevent the door from being lifted off the track?

All I see is that little angle stop.

Bob,
The locking mechanism (in addition to the bracket and tracking) prevents lifting the door.
That works in full open and ventilating feature.

and if the door is unlocked, no need to lift it…
just slide it open… :slight_smile:

I hope it is a good lock.:slight_smile:

Actually I kinda laugh when I see double deadbolts on many rear doors that have glass panels as the burglar can just smash the glass and reach in to turn the key however as we know locks are there to keep honest people honest. LOL

Sad is that many use a double cylinder which is actually against code as a work around.
I call that out.

I have never seen a double cylinder on a Pella door.
For this market area,
The higher in home value,
the less need for external security (seems to be what I routinely see).

My pic of current property security…

I’m not sure of the brand of sliders I installed with this type of configuration; but they were metal and not wood. Even though this type of configuration is used and can be properly secured, I personally do not care for this design where the screen is on the inside and the door on the out. I also feel more comfortable with the door on the inside of the frame; to me it’s a more secure application.

But with good security as Joseph has in place either door will work fine. :mrgreen: