Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Interior Inspections Contains discussions about the interior portion of a home inspection. This includes stairs, walls, floors, ceilings, smoke detectors, etc.

Old 9/29/18, 11:23 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Default Garage Ceiling

I know that the walls and ceiling in the garage are supposed to be fire rated, and there should not be HVAC ducts or other openings in the ceiling. I recently saw, for the first time, recessed light cans installed in the garage. I told the buyer and the builder that these fixtures may compromise the fire barrier and they should check with the manufacturer to ensure that the fixtures complied with the fire barrier requirement. Does anyone have any experience with recessed cans in the garage ceiling? Do these fixtures satisfy the requirement for burn time?
Old 9/29/18, 11:42 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: Garage Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweible1 View Post
I know that the walls and ceiling in the garage are supposed to be fire rated, and there should not be HVAC ducts or other openings in the ceiling. I recently saw, for the first time, recessed light cans installed in the garage. I told the buyer and the builder that these fixtures may compromise the fire barrier and they should check with the manufacturer to ensure that the fixtures complied with the fire barrier requirement. Does anyone have any experience with recessed cans in the garage ceiling? Do these fixtures satisfy the requirement for burn time?
Like this?:

Fire Rated Recessed Light Enclosure | EZ Barrier

Awards Committee Officer
SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE:
http://co.nachi.org/inachiawards/

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of the issuance of any award the committee offers and any rules interpretation updates.

Larry Kage, CMI Lifetime Member
State Licensed Builder since 1973
InterNACHI Lifetime Member
~retired~

The above post represents my personal opinion.