Hallway dimensions

Hallway was only 27 inches wide.

It states in Code check minimum hallways 36".

Would you report this narrow hallway?

150309 103 (Small).jpg

150309 088 (Small).jpg

WOW
Looks exactly like one I had last year and yes I did.

Bob what did you say about it on the report?

How old is the house?

It was a commercial inspection and I think I came right here for question on allowed width.
I simply stated the code as it was not a SOP inspection ,but was for a Bank.

Personally I would look at the age of the MDU building if that is one ,and make sure the client knows of any issues such as furniture moving, wheel chairs,etc.

Say the place is 100 years old,you are not gonna rock the world on it.

Does not effect structure.

It don’t meet today’s standard and may have been acceptable at the time it was built.
If it is not serving the general public or the handicapp, there is not much said further, but I would probably just note it.
The carpet needs a good cleaning by the way. :mrgreen::wink:

1955 Original build date.

But it has been added on numerous times.

Considering the fact that remediation would not be practical I just use this comment:

OBSERVATION: The hallway width is less than standard/recommended.

Obervation: May have to turn sideways when using hallway.

Billy, back in those years, people weren’t as fat or obese as today.
They were not as tall either.

Doors of that era were usually only 1-1/4" thick and 6’-6" high, and the door knobs were installed at 30" off the floor.
Door widths were anywhere from 24"-30". Ceilings were anywhere from 9’-10’ and don’t know why. ha. ha. :):smiley:

Maybe it was because of all the smoke from the wood burning appliances.

I have found that having high ceilings makes staying indoors much easier to take for extended periods. I never noticed anything with 8’ ceilings, but when I got high ceilings I didn’t feel the need to get outside as much.

Could very well be Ralph, I never understood why. A lot of people had those nice tin ceilings too!
:):smiley: