I have a leak in my ceiling.

It’s a drop every 30 seconds. I live in a townhouse that has upper and lower floors. The drips are coming from my first floor near my front door. I don’t know where the drips are coming from since there’s nothing on the second floor to make the leak. I’m assuming that it’s coming from my air condiontioner since every time I turn it on, the leak starts. :weird: . But who knows…maybe it’s the plumbing system from the bathroom upstairs.

[quote=The Machinist]
It’s a drop every 30 seconds. I live in a townhouse that has upper and lower floors. The drips are coming from my first floor near my front door.

I’m assuming that it’s coming from my air condiontioner since every time I turn it on, the leak starts. :weird: .

quote]

This is kind of confusing; since there is nothing on the second floor to your knowledge, how can it be coming from the plumbing system from upstairs bathroom?

Since the drip is a drop every 30 seconds it could be from a leaking packing from a gatevalve from above or condensate drain from a small A/C unit.

Where is your A/C unit located to this view of location to the drip?

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Put some dye (food coloring) in the HVAC condensate drain.

I’m not sure he means there’s a water stain, maybe he means he just hears a drip when the a/c is on. If that’s the case then likely the condensate drain line was tapped into a waste vent and the drip is heard when it reaches the bottom of the waste stack. That used to be a common method of terminating a condensate drain line, not anymore of course.

The drips goes all the way down to the floor. My A/C is near the front door of the house.

If it only leaking (dripping) after the AC has been on for short time I would suspect the suction line is forming condensation and dripping down into the floor below. Ive seen this before. If the line isn’t well insulated and warm moist air is infiltrating the interior of the wall cavity this could be the problem. If the drip forms after someone has been using the bathroom upstairs then it could just as easily be that. YOu basically have to troubleshoot the problem to determine where the source of the leak is originating. What kind of AC is located upstairs as you never did say. Is it a typical split system or a window shaker mounted in a window or the exterior wall? The original post made it a little confusing as it stated there was nothing upstairs that could be leaking but later says there is an AC and a bathroom, either of which could be the culprit. If becomes a process of elimination until you find the source.

I have a home warranty to take care of problems at my home. The service fee is $45.00 to get a plumber or A/C technician guy to come to my home. But which one do I ask for? The plumber or A/C guy? I can’t pay $45.00 for each guy.:roll:

Here in California there are a number of combination HVAC/Plumbing Contractors. I have an Old Republic home protection plan and have had them come out for A/C Service and a toilet leak in the same call. They’ll still try and charge you for two deductables. Point is, when the guy shows up, he’ll be able to address your plumbing and or HVAC issues.

Good Luck!

This

This could be a condensation line that’s clogged (suck it out with shop vac), or a problem with the suction line insulation as Doug said. You should probably call an A/C guy. If you can locate the drain outside (normally around the condenser), just hook up the shop vac to it and that should clear it. Good Luck. John

It most probably your air conditioner which leaks from the Hose. To find the leakage simply check the wall near the hose you will get an idea what’s the problem is.

Guys that post was from back in 2006 I am sure his home has floated away by now

LOL you do know some of the more complex questions take time to solve :wink:

LOL…how did this come up again?