Help Identify Old Batt Insulation

I did an inspection the other day and saw this older funny looking batt insulation. It has a black facing, it looks like brown compressed wood or paper, didn’t get a very good picture of it, but here’s what I have just mostly of the backing. It was on the roof rafters under the decking. Also, good this contain some asbestos content ? I live in an area that has lots of old homes I’ve never seen this before. Thanks in advance. Heres a pic of the dark brown stuff, it is right above the square piece of cardboard, it looks like some kind of pressed wood, like real thick masonite type material, I dont know why I didn’t get better photos of it…

P1080283.JPG

P1080244.JPG

Hard to say from the photo. Not a great idea to insulate the underside of roof sheathing though. Absolutely no need for it.

I saw this old bat the other day.

Something is missing on your website Linas.

Hmmm I guess he missed all those links after he trashed NACHI.
Wish I could have heard him on the phone begging Nick to take him back.:slight_smile:

Linas, the third link down does not work, so you know. :slight_smile:

Left column.

Wasn’t there before :wink:

Well it is now that I can see and glad to see Linas back.
Hell he might even show up in the Maine coast for a lobster too! :mrgreen:

Ahoy sailor, request permission to come aboard. :p:p

So when did you got married?

Congratulations!:shock::twisted:

She left you for me!!!

Wow Linas, they wiped your account clean huh? They have you with only 27 posts.

I think we could change our mind on that .I think it will be the way of the future

http://www.ezerosolutions.com/

possibly balsam

Thanx for the replies guys, Barry you got it, that’s exactly what it looks like. By reading about (Googling) it doesn’t appear to have much R value, but back in the 40’s that was better than sheets of newpaper or hay bales or straw. Linas, you leave my mom out of this or I will send her after you, “she knows where you live” hey, what do you expect, she’s 91 years young & still works in the oilfields on the rig floor screwing & unscrewing joints of pipe between that chin & her forehead, since she has no arms, whatta gal…

Linas up to your old tricks again. Where is your video?
Thats what I missed when you were not around.
HA HA HA HA.

Video?? Take your meds Robert.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa330/LinasDapkus/OldBat.gif

I find people whom cry the most are the most guilty of using or partaking in.

If I was partaking, I would want to partake in some of that stuff you’re on.:wink: