Insulation Between heated areas

Question for you!!

Home has a conditioned, finished basement. Drop ceiling tiles, then insulation with a vapor barrier that typically gets discolored at the barrier.

Seems like the installers typically install insulation that is for heat and not sound.

I was wondering what your thoughts and observations are?

I would not be installing this type of insulation in this manner, seems to trap air and create moisture.

Also they sealed the heating ducts above the drop panels.

224412 050 (Small).JPG

224412 051 (Small).JPG

I am only making a guess…
Home was constructed with an Unfinished Basement Originally…
Later…
Insulation was Improperly installed (vapor barrier down)
again
Later…
Basement area was Finished and the insulation was left intact…
Removal of the vapor barrier (paper) is recommended at a minimum to correct…

That is the normal progression of the same situation when discovered in this geographic area…

Note the finished basement area as Unconditioned space…
HVAC may not have been adequately sized for the basement addition.

How is that any different from putting paper backed insulation around a bathroom for sound dampening?

I’m not an expert in building science but someone please explain how the paper harms anything. I don’t see how it does between two conditioned spaces.

The tabs are not attached to the joists and the batts are loosely installed so the vapor retardant paper is pretty much useless. I don’t think moisture will accumulate on the paper since the temperature difference isn’t much between the 2 levels. I see it from time to time on new construction.

It probably happened like Joe H. described but I don’r see a problem because of what Linas posted. And Joe F. has a valid point about lack of harm so, David, I may comment but probably only verbally to the client. :mrgreen:

I just note the deficiency
and the potential for additional deficiencies to occur later… (which may occur days, weeks, months, years,…)

What deficiency would you note, Joe?..the loose paper?

See Response # 2 …

Tabs appear to be stapled…
Insulation (by weight) generally does not remain in place by mere placement alone…

Oh, you would recommend removal…

A little slicing maybe…

No…

Recommendation would be replacement in compliance with Manufacturer specification / recommendation…

If Insulation is present,
at a minimum,
it should be installed according to the manufacturer’s specifications.

Sorry if you feel offended…
It is what it is…

I see it remain in place, without stapling almost 95% of the time. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Not bursting any bubble…
over the last 10 years +…
I am sure My Office has encountered / ;produced more Inspections than you have…

as I said…
In this market…
It is what it is…

and if installed improperly…
it is improperly installed…

I have not encountered a disclaimer on the product for Installation within Chicago…
maybe the product labeling varies in your area…

I really don’t care, you just need to realize you are wrong. Admit it and move on.

If both sides of the insulation are conditioned why is it wrong?

Removing the paper will have no effect. Period.

Original post and picture suggest that the basement HVAC supply ducts (installed) have been taped / removed from service…

so finished Basement is Unconditioned

maybe you missed that post…

Dave mentioned that the basement is conditioned. For vapor retardant backed insulation, the tabs must be attached to the bottom of the joists to retard air/vapor movement. This installation will work as a noise barrier but vapors will migrate past the vapor barrier. It’s pretty simple. Some folks just don’t get it.

Just to clarify my post.

The basement is conditioned (with furnace in unfinshed area, has louvered doors, but the finished rooms are not being heated properly as you can see in the photo of the sealed registers. This would make unconditioned. (not sure the thoughts of sealing vents), most likely not enough heat/air going to 1st/2nd floors. (like Joe stated)

I see this insulation often but the vapor barrier often gets stained (moldy substance). I believe the best practice would be to use unfaced insulation between conditioned areas. (why I was posting)

Also this should go in HVAC but what are your thoughts on a make up air system for a high efficiency furnace that is bringing in outside air with the high efficiency venting?

Seems like a waste of money.

224412 056 (Small).JPG