What is this material ?

Ran across this in a home today and wondering what it is. Can anyone help? Thanks

IMG_0038 (Small).JPG

Looks like the panels from an evaporative cooler. As I recall the material was called excelsior ?sp.

They were bathed with water and a fan blows across cooling and humidifying at the same time. Great for low humidity hot climates.

When dry highly ignitable by bottle rockets, as I recall.

These panels are installed on the ceiling of a room addition and also on the ceiling of a patio overhang. I’ve seen this stuff before but its been awhile.

It’s called Tectum, and is a porous wood fiber and plaster roof decking/insulation material. It insulates poorly by today’s standards, and turns to mush if it gets wet.

Jim King

Could it be sound proofing panels without the outside covering/fabric?

Like you would find in a recording/radio studio.

Hi Tab…sorry cannot help you with your material…but I was shocked by your location…I haven’t met very many folks from the town of my youth.

I went to High School there…I hear it has changed tremendously since we were there while my dad was stationed at MCAS Yuma…

Welcome to the message board…

Thank you Jim. When did you live in Yuma Tony? I’ve been here since 1971.

Jim is correct, I use to install this as a decking material on schools back in the 70’s. I use to call it shredded wheat, because if you got it wet, it would look and become just like it.

It was a very poor material, due the protection required after it’s installation.
Whatever was installed that day had to be covered the same day. Haven’t seen it in years.

It had a very high STC rating and a lot of it was used for that reason in autitoriums, shcools, concert halls, etc.

www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files/ICBO-ES/1116.pdf

:o :o
Marcel

James

CORRECT I used this material in the late 70s early 80s.

Peter

I actually used this in a TV studio, for soundproofing.