Do you operate old, operable skylights?

Kinda like operating old dishwashers; they’re a lot more likely to leak.

On one hand, part of the inspection is to identify defective items. On the other hand, we’re only required to inspect a representative number of windows and no appliances.

I tell my client .
I like sky lights BUT!.. it is not a case of will it leak but when it will leak . end of story .
No I did not operate them.

Not me. Maybe get it open and maybe never get it to close.

“Worked before you got here”!

1 Like

If it is supposed to operate, it should be tested.

As for the “representational”, I think that is a friggin cop-out for lazy inspectors in some cases. That should be used only for stuff you can’t get to like receptacles in back of china hutches or windows where you have to crawl over a bed. It shouldn’t be a way to expedite an inspection. I see a lot that do it in vacant houses because it is allowed. Lazy, pure and simple.

I’ve installed a few varieties of skylights in the past, and as a Home Inspector, I believe in my opinion, it should be tested to see if it functions.
No different than any other window.
Some have crank assemblies for operators, some with a pole extension operators and some that are electrically operated.
They should all be tested for operation.
They work or they don’t work.

Yes, if they appear to be in good condition and can be operated from ground level.

In 35 yrs I’ve never operated a skylite

^ this.

Though I rarely see skylights that open. Not super common in my area.

I won’t open them. No guaranty the damn things will fully close when I check them. I don’t feel the need to be liable for future water damage. I state in my reports that the seller should demonstrate them to the buyers.

So you don’t open doors or windows either? I mean they may not fully close when you check them… Or the oven may not turn off, or the smoke detector may not stop alarming, or - or - or… :wink:

Not just no, but heck no!