Stove and ovens

Im new to the Home Inspection Business, Im still working on submitting
4 mock inspections to Nachi, but I have a question:

Are stoves and ovens part of a home inspection ? Im saying this because
nowadays there getting digital. I still have problems wth using the programs
on my microwave at home. The old style gas and electric ranges I understand, but these new ones our getting high tec.

Sincerely David

Pyramid-Home-inspections

David,

Kitchen appliances fall outside of most SOP’s except for the Texas ones, Many home inspectors though do check that they are funtional but exclude timers or thermostat accuracy.

Personaly I check that each cook top burner heats up and that the oven does the same and that is about it.

Regards

Gerry

You may wish to view the CRIEASOP.

Below is what the NACHI SOP says. That is the minimum standard. Here in AZ it is common practice turn the oven on to see if it gets hot.

David you should do what most HI’s do in CA.

Just check to make sure each burner heats up and the oven warms up. It doesn’t matter if a takes awhile to heat up. We are just checking to make sure it works, not that it works well.

I also check for an anti tip device and the broiler.

Question;

What do you do when the Owner comes back after the Inspection and finds out her Appliances were checked and now claims to the RealEstate Agent that it does not work or one burner is out? Or the light in the Refrigerator or ice maker doesn't work, or Microwave light is burnt?

Just curious.

Personally, I ask the Occupants or the Owners if Present if all the Appliances work as intended, and if they say yes, that is what I write down.

Marcel

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

</IMG></IMG>

Don’t inspect appliances. I have enough risks doing a home inspection why would I increase the risk? Not to mention having to know all the aspects of what could be wrong with an appliance.

I do as Gerry and Brian.

I also check to see if they have power. all i do is put each burner on high, put my hand over the burner about 4", see if it’s getting warm, and turn ‘em OFF. same with the bake and broiler elements. Marcel, i try to do this while someone is watching so i have a witness that i didn’t break it. if i do, i’ll relace the element that POPPED when i tested it. easy and less expencive than an insurance claim. luckily that hasn’t happened yet, but my people skills are top notch and i beleive i can talk my way out of trouble. if not then i also know an appliance repair man who will check it out for me and bill me if need be. this also shows the seller that i’m lagit’ and they usualy hire me for they’re future purchase.

As with virtually everything in my inspection protocols, I use the normal operating controls just like a normal homeowner would do during the course of a normal day. Quite easy, really, and doesn’t provide much additional liability, if any. Additionally, the competition does the same, so I have to at least do the same thing they do and then try to differentiate myself from them by doing more, like recall research, free appliance packages, and five different levels of inspection. Appliances are not included in my LIST and BASIC inspections.

I test both per the TX SOP. I usually try and get a picture of the cooktop elements when they are red and one of my thermometer in the oven.

Will the pictures keep me from getting sued? Nope, nothing will. But at least I have some sort of “proof” whether it was working or not.

I check them for function also. Don’t check to make sure they are calibrated.

My protocol comes from personal experience however, not because of SOP’s.

When I bought my first house, spent the day moving in. Dog tired at the end of the day and just want to heat up a frozen pizza and sit down. Stove doesn’t light. I was a little PO’d to say the least.

So I check it for my clients.

Thanks , apreciate the answer
David