Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Interior Inspections Contains discussions about the interior portion of a home inspection. This includes stairs, walls, floors, ceilings, smoke detectors, etc.

Old 12/21/18, 11:37 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: Window egress question

Wisconsin egress windows. For any window used for exiting, the lowest point of clear opening should be no more than 60 inches above the floor. If the lowest point of clear opening is more than 46 inches above the floor, a permanent platform or fixture should be installed such that a flat surface at least 20 inches wide and 9 inches deep is located no more than 46 inches directly below the clear opening. The topmost surface of the platform or fixture should be no more than 24 inches above the floor.
The window shall be openable from the inside without the use of tools or the removal of a sash. If equipped with a storm or screen, it shall be openable from the inside. The nominal size of the net clear window opening shall be at least 20 inches by 24 inches irrespective of height or width. Nominal dimensions shall be determined by rounding up fractions of inches if they are ½” inch or greater or rounding down fractions of inches if they are less than ½ inch. No portion of the window, including stops, stools, meeting rails and operator arms, shall infringe on the required opening. The area and dimension requirements may be infringed on by a storm window.
Need a home inspection in Texas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Texas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/21/18, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyr View Post
What you posted does not match the requirement;

5.7 square feet
The bottom of the egress window opening can't exceed 44” from the finished floor. The minimum opening area of the egress window is 5.7 square feet. The minimum egress window opening height is 24” high. The minimum egress window opening is 20” wide.

Attachment 204883

Canadian Code, Marcel. As well, provinces may have varying rules.
Thanks for mentioning that.

Robert Young's ​Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
Home Inspections & Building Inspection Services.
Covering on and off islands in greater Montreal and Laval. (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732.
Our Motto: Putting Information Where You Need It Most, "In Your Hands."
https://montreal-home-inspection-services.com

Old 12/21/18, 4:43 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung7 View Post
Canadian Code, Marcel. As well, provinces may have varying rules.
Thanks for mentioning that.
Post it in the Canadian section and not confuse new inspectors.

CMI 2004-2017 Retired

Awards Committee Member
U.S. Member of the Year Winner 2009
45 Years Residential/Commercial Builder
Submit your AWARDS NOMINATIONS here
The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers and any rules updates.
Old 12/21/18, 5:27 PM

Isn't it easier to just remember the 20" and 24" min. opening, so it don't matter which window style you have?

CMI 2004-2017 Retired

Awards Committee Member
The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers and any rules updates.
Old 12/21/18, 8:03 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
What you posted does not match the requirement;

5.7 square feet
The bottom of the egress window opening can't exceed 44” from the finished floor. The minimum opening area of the egress window is 5.7 square feet. The minimum egress window opening height is 24” high. The minimum egress window opening is 20” wide.

Attachment 204883

People must be smaller in Canada.

Brad K Toye
ITC/FLIR Level I Building Investigation Thermographer
FL Certified Building Contractor CBC034303
FL Certified Home Inspector HI 391
FL Certified Mold Assessor MRSA 589

727-403-5029
Lecsi2@gmail.com
Old 12/21/18, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoye View Post
People must be smaller in Canada.
Apparently.

CMI 2004-2017 Retired

Awards Committee Member
Old 12/22/18, 11:28 AM

To reiterate on this astute question from Joe F., (Window egress question), and egress requirements (at a 2nd story bedroom they were 4.1 SF of openable area by raising the lower sash), by removing the top and bottom sash, the required area is met.

During my inspections, many times, ><30%, the window sash removal replacement mechanism do not function. Do not Quote me on that. I am giving an approximation considering the homes I inspect.

One has to 'reasonably inspect' this type of double hung window to insure operability, *especially if the window is being used as a means of egress.

As to the size of average Canadians. Draw your own conclusions.

The organization estimates that 3/4 of the American population will likely be overweight or obese by 2020. The vast majority of American adults are overweight or obese, and weight is a growing problem among US children | Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation

As of 2017, research done by the Public Health Agency of Canada has reported that 64% of Canadian adults over the age of 18 are overweight or obese, and 60% of children aged 5-17 are overweight or obese. Obesity in Canada - Obesity Canada

Good luck Joe. I hope you operated the window.

Covering on and off islands in greater Montreal and Laval. (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732.

Old 12/22/18, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Post it in the Canadian section and not confuse new inspectors.
Canadian and American inspectors, as well as inspectors from other countries such as Mexico and Puerto Rico, Ops, America , learn from reading posts.
As well, there are many codes to reference from.
Good day.

Old 12/22/18, 11:39 AM

Requirements vary.

WI specifies 20x24
MN specifies those as min. height and width but include the 5.7 square foot free space.

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

You own your private information. I won't sell or give away yours, others do

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Call me

Old 12/22/18, 11:53 AM

Same here Michael
Here in Florida

1029.2 Minimum size - Florida Building Code 5th Edition (2014)

Emergency escape and rescue openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet (0.53m2).

Exception: The minimum net clear opening for emergency escape and rescue grade-floor openings shall be 5 square feet (0.46m2).

Section 1029.2.1 Minimum dimensions - Florida Building Code 5th Edition (2014)

The minimum net clear opening height dimension shall be 24 inches (610mm). The minimum net clear opening width dimension shall be 20 inches (508mm). The net clear opening dimensions shall be the result of normal operation of the opening.

Section 1029.3 Maximum height from floor - Florida Building Code 5th Edition (2014)

Emergency escape and rescue openings shall have the bottom of the clear opening not greater than 44 inches (1118mm) measured from the floor.

InterNACHI Lifetime Member.
www.1stproinspection.com
roy@1stproinspection.com
Serving Gainesville Florida and surrounding areas.
Florida Certified Contractor #CRC1328001
Florida Certified Home Inspector #HI7019
Deus solus me iudicare potest
#1st Pro Inspection
Well! They may have degrees, but that is not an indicator of common sense or right thinking...M. Larson circa 9-27-2018.
Old 12/26/18, 9:57 PM

About 1-2 years ago in KC, we were doing an inspection on a new NEVER lived in home. At the 2nd floor for some reason the double hung bedroom windows looked not quite right ..... My helper measured them and they were roughly 1" to 1.5" too narrow and too short for egress. Its new construction so we report it.

Buyer goes to builder ..... builder says PASSED code. Buyer calls city code dept. They come back out, look again and say - Oops too small and directed builder to correct it. Builder went to his legislator and complained. DooDoo runs downhill, so legislator calls somebody higher up than Head Code guy. Next thing we know the code dept back-pedals and has letter from window mfg saying the side-by-side windows use a common mullion strip AND its not real strong AND in case of fire can be EASILY kicked out and now you got a BIGGER opening.

City then approved the windows again / PASSED code.

PS ..... Builder had changed manufacturers and the new one had similar model numbers but different dimensions.

Dan Bowers, CMI
Licensed Contractor / Builder
Certified IAQ2 Mold Inspector
Licensed HVAC Service Technician
EDI Certified Stucco / EIFS Inspector
Certified Commercial Building Inspector
iNACHI – US Member of the Year 2010
ITC / FLIR - Level I Infrared Thermographer
FHA - 203k Inspector / Compliance Inspector
ICC Code Inspector (Plmbg, Elec, Mech, Bldg)
Old 12/26/18, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowers View Post
About 1-2 years ago in KC, we were doing an inspection on a new NEVER lived in home. At the 2nd floor for some reason the double hung bedroom windows looked not quite right ..... My helper measured them and they were roughly 1" to 1.5" too narrow and too short for egress. Its new construction so we report it.

Buyer goes to builder ..... builder says PASSED code. Buyer calls city code dept. They come back out, look again and say - Oops too small and directed builder to correct it. Builder went to his legislator and complained. DooDoo runs downhill, so legislator calls somebody higher up than Head Code guy. Next thing we know the code dept back-pedals and has letter from window mfg saying the side-by-side windows use a common mullion strip AND its not real strong AND in case of fire can be EASILY kicked out and now you got a BIGGER opening.

PS ..... Builder had changed manufacturers and the new one had similar model numbers but different dimensions.
Some one is being filled with DooDoo, because a mullion kit for double hung windows does not make the egress opening bigger and does not kick out. It holds the two units together with an additional splice plate top and bottom. I would like to see what manufacturer would state something like that.
Not going to happen.

CMI 2004-2017 Retired

Awards Committee Member
Old 12/27/18, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowers View Post

Thanks Dan. Good story.

Builders look for deals when they can. Remember being offered speciality door or windows, etc..., at half the cost. Common for distributors or manufacturers to sell seconds or made to measure items that were not picked up. These items are not going to sit around gathering dust.

Need a home inspection in Texas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Texas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/29/18, 7:46 PM

Marcel .............

Ditto ............Mostly my same comments to the buyer and his REA. Neither one was apparently stout enough to argue it SO it went as installed.

Its been years since I waste my time arguing with builders, code guys, etc. I tell people whats wrong, WHY and turn them loose. If they don't care enough to argue for THEIR house neither do I unless ................

I have 2 fees ......... The basic home inspection fee, AND then

the basic home inspection fee AND me negotiating AND arguing for you.

Only seen 2 times in 8-9 years where a buyer chose Option #2.

So they get hosed BUT its not my house and I'm not living there.

Dan Bowers, CMI
Licensed Contractor / Builder
Certified IAQ2 Mold Inspector
Licensed HVAC Service Technician
EDI Certified Stucco / EIFS Inspector
Certified Commercial Building Inspector
iNACHI – US Member of the Year 2010
ITC / FLIR - Level I Infrared Thermographer
FHA - 203k Inspector / Compliance Inspector
ICC Code Inspector (Plmbg, Elec, Mech, Bldg)
Old 12/29/18, 7:57 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Well said love it , Works great report and move on .