2 prong receptacles

Is it a good idea to recommend to clients to update electrical receptacles to a 3 prong grounded outlet in living spaces such as family rooms, iving rooms, etc… to meet modern electrical requirements for cable,electronics,computers, etc… Also, has anyone used the Ideal circuit analyzer 61-165. i’d like to get some feedback. Thanks

Paul Wancata
Inspections Unlimited

I call them out dated and recommend upgrade.
Also a good clue to look for those cloth covered wires.

Unless you are absolutely sure that each receptacle is able to be grounded, don’t recommend a replacement with a three pronged recept. An electrician may be needed to upgrade each branch circuit where a ground is needed.

Jeff

Home inspectors call out defects. This system, unless observed in a new construction or addition, is not a defect.

Home inspectors do not recommend remedies to the defects that they point out in their reports. They recommend that they be repaired or replaced by a qualified contractor.

But you guys do mention the system as outdated…Yes?

I don’t leave home without it, in fact, I have three.

The three-light tester does not give enough information and should not be your only tool for receptacle testing.

I don’t.

I will include a narrative that the two prong system is perfectly safe, will accommodate GFCI receptacles, and does not need to be replaced. I will mention the dangers caused by “adapters” and the possible inconvenience this system poses when using most modern day electrical appliances.

“Outdated” infers the need for replacement, which I do not recommend for anything that is not defective (with the exception of GFCI in wet areas).

Good verbiage.

Mic

http://www.nachi.tv/episode42

Scroll to 4:45, Joe covers this nicely, and taught me allot.

http://www.masscertifiedhomeinspections.com/?D=124

So the whole idea of grounding was never needed?

2-prong outlets are not a defect. It is errant and misleading, on our part, to state or to infer otherwise.

Home inspectors call out defects. This system, unless observed in a new construction or addition, is not a defect.

2-prong outlets are not a defect. It is errant and misleading, on our part, to state or to infer otherwise.

I agree with James on both quotes! Unless you are licensed to make that call and never worry about liability issues, I would stick with what a home inspector should report.
I often tell folks:

I am like the General Practitioner and the Plumber, Electrician, etc is like the Surgeon.

Everyone can separate the Doctor at the clinic and and the Surgeon at the hospital.

You guys may notice I used the term out of date.
Anybody catch me saying defect.?

Hmm it is a defect only in new construction.?

Want to take that statement back after someone please defines defect for me?

Not disagreeing with you Bob. Just saying I stick with more along the line of James’s approach. Never thought you said “defect” and yes it can be a defect in more than just new construction. I have wrote them up when they were defective but never simply because they were two pronged.:slight_smile:

Ok ,but do you just ignore the fact they are ungrounded?

It’s not “ignoring the fact,” it’s observing the fact.

The fact being that these receptacles were never intended to be grounded, and as such, there is no reportable issue. Much like older 240V circuits that are wired with 3 conductors (H-H-G). Newer requirements mandate 4 conductors (H-H-N-G). Do you report on 3-wire 240V circuits?

Homes were not built 100 years ago with Smoke detectors not in them so should I just ignore that too.?

To answer your second question we use conduit the way G-D intended here in the Chicago area.:wink:

In that case, grounding the receptacles would be easy - if they are grounding-type receptacles.

In CA, smoke detectors are mandated by state law, regardless of the age of the home.

Smoke detectors (same here) and 15’ from bedrooms.
Irregardless I recommend what is best for the home and if they update part of the electrical system such as GFCI not noted in kitchens or bathrooms then they must also by Law as you say update the entire system.
True or Not?