Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Electrical Inspections Contains discussions about electrical systems. This includes receptacles, panels, wiring, etc.

Old 1/17/19, 5:14 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default 3 vs 4 wire feed to garage

I was wondering if anyone could explain the need for a four wire feed to a separate building apart from the house. In the case of the house I looked at today there was a separate garage with a subpanel fed by a three wire overhead feed. The grounds and neutrals were separate. To my knowledge there wasn't any water or gas line going out to the garage. This should be a four wire feed, correct? And wasn't this a relatively recent change to the code?

Thank you as always.

Dan Kostenbader
Solid Rock Home Inspection
Nazareth, PA
www.solidrockinspection.com
Need a home inspection in Connecticut? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Connecticut certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/17/19, 5:52 PM

Default Re: 3 vs 4 wire feed to garage

Sub panels require a 4-wire feed. 2 hot, neutral and ground. If only a 3-wire is present, a separate isolated ground can be used at the sub panel location. (i.e. grounding electrode with ground conductor)

David A. Wigger

BASIS Inspections
Serving the greater Tulsa area

Oklahoma's Guaranteed Home Inspection
www.basisinspections.com
david@basisinspections.com
Lic. #70000551
Angie's List Super Service Award winner: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Old 1/17/19, 5:58 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwigger View Post
Sub panels require a 4-wire feed. 2 hot, neutral and ground. If only a 3-wire is present, a separate isolated ground can be used at the sub panel location. (i.e. grounding electrode with ground conductor)

Separate ground not allowed in Canada 4 wires are required .
I do think this also a requirement in some USA places .
Old 1/17/19, 6:32 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: Robert Meier is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkostenbader View Post
I was wondering if anyone could explain the need for a four wire feed to a separate building apart from the house. In the case of the house I looked at today there was a separate garage with a subpanel fed by a three wire overhead feed. The grounds and neutrals were separate. To my knowledge there wasn't any water or gas line going out to the garage. This should be a four wire feed, correct? And wasn't this a relatively recent change to the code?

Thank you as always.

Up until the 2008 NEC code cycle 3 wire feeders were permitted if there were no metallic paths between the two structures. From 2008 and beyond a 4-wire feeder is required. If there is an old 3-wire feeder you must bond the neutral just like in a service and connect the GEC from your grounding electrodes to the neutral.

With a 4-wire feeder the EGC's and neutrals are separate and the GEC goes to the EGC bus which is bonded to the enclosure, the neutral is left floating.
Old 1/17/19, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
Up until the 2008 NEC code cycle 3 wire feeders were permitted if there were no metallic paths between the two structures. From 2008 and beyond a 4-wire feeder is required. If there is an old 3-wire feeder you must bond the neutral just like in a service and connect the GEC from your grounding electrodes to the neutral.

With a 4-wire feeder the EGC's and neutrals are separate and the GEC goes to the EGC bus which is bonded to the enclosure, the neutral is left floating.

Robert, thanks for the specific dates. Now I understand why I see it both ways in my neck of the woods.

David A. Wigger

BASIS Inspections
Serving the greater Tulsa area

Oklahoma's Guaranteed Home Inspection
www.basisinspections.com
david@basisinspections.com
Lic. #70000551
Angie's List Super Service Award winner: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Old 1/17/19, 7:23 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: Robert Meier is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Robert, thanks for the specific dates. Now I understand why I see it both ways in my neck of the woods.

You're welcome, and depending on when a jurisdiction adopted the 2008 NEC you might even see this on new installations beyond 2008 which may have been code compliant when installed.
Old 1/17/19, 7:24 PM

Excellent clarification. Thank you everyone. This one did have a separate ground from the panel. It looked fairly recent but I don't know when it was done exactly.

Dan Kostenbader
Solid Rock Home Inspection
Nazareth, PA
www.solidrockinspection.com
Old 1/22/19, 5:13 PM
Community Guest

Please Note: mparks2 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
That is dangerous! WOW!
Old 1/23/19, 4:11 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparks2 View Post
That is dangerous! WOW!

Which part?
Old 1/24/19, 3:07 PM
Community Guest

Please Note: mparks2 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Which part?
Using the earth as a conductor!
Old 1/25/19, 10:49 AM

Quote:

In a 3-wire sub(distribution) panel the grounds and neutral should not be separated?
Old 1/25/19, 3:55 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolson8 View Post
In a 3-wire sub(distribution) panel the grounds and neutral should not be separated?

Actually they cannot be. If you isolate the EGC and neutral there will be no return path for the current to open an OCPD and the system will be ungrounded.

If you think of it like a service the reason that a ground fault to an EGC trips the OCPD is because the EGC's and the neutral are bonded together. With a 3-wire feeder you would also have to bond the EGC to the neutral for a ground fault to open the OCPD. For separate structures this was permitted until it changed with the 2008 NEC.
Old 1/27/19, 2:07 PM

Also note that a detached structure requires a grounding source (ground rod) whether it is a 3 or 4 wire remote panel. The ground rod can not be used as the only source of grounding and must be tied to the neutral if only a 3 wire feed. Best to upgrade to 4 wire but how many of us would do that.

Don Hawley CPI
Hawley Home Inspections LLC

Home Inspection Services, Termite, Radon & Sewer Scope
DonHawley575@gmail.com
Licensed Radon Professional
Licensed Home Inspector
Need a home inspection in Connecticut? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Connecticut certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/30/19, 11:59 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Like Robert said .............

In KC there are 81 cities or towns making up the metroplex ...... of them NONE currently use anything past the 2012 NEC.

A dozen use the 2002 NEC and 2 still use the 1999 NEC

So as a home inspector WHICH version do you quote OR do you THINK you should use IF thinking CODE is in your bucket

Dan Bowers, CMI
Licensed Contractor / Builder
Certified IAQ2 Mold Inspector
Licensed HVAC Service Technician
EDI Certified Stucco / EIFS Inspector
Certified Commercial Building Inspector
iNACHI – US Member of the Year 2010
ITC / FLIR - Level I Infrared Thermographer
FHA - 203k Inspector / Compliance Inspector
ICC Code Inspector (Plmbg, Elec, Mech, Bldg)
Old 1/31/19, 5:10 PM
Community Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowers View Post
Like Robert said .............

In KC there are 81 cities or towns making up the metroplex ...... of them NONE currently use anything past the 2012 NEC.

A dozen use the 2002 NEC and 2 still use the 1999 NEC

So as a home inspector WHICH version do you quote OR do you THINK you should use IF thinking CODE is in your bucket

Nothing UNSAFE with a 3 wire system - as long as you do not have any paralleled conductors. (No need for a 4 wire system to an out building IMHO)