What is this??

What is this?? this is on the range breaker.

It is a breaker tang and is installed to prevent a breaker from being turned off inadvertently. Once installed they are not supposed to interfere with the normal trip action should a fault occur. However, if they are installed improperly or are for a different brand or style breaker, they can effect proper operation. Always recommend removal.

This is s a saftey device to make sure the breaker is never shut off by accident.
The breaker still will trip on an overload

Maybe?

Don’t bet money against us you will lose .

I am not gambler, thanks.

Depends what kind of breaker we are talking about!:smiley:

They are a listed device and are perfectly acceptable when installed correctly just like anything else. I’ve installed dozens to keep critical systems from inadvertent shut off.

Check page 17

Well lets look at it closer.

1. It is difficult to verify IF it is installed correctly UNLESS the breaker is cycled.
  2. Even though these are listed, it is difficult to determine IF IT IS LISTED FOR THIS BREAKER! Never assume!
  3. Once installed, the breaker can not be shut off MANUALLY unless it is removed first.

Think my friend. Would you want a breaker ON YOUR RANGE that can not be shut off should an arcing series fault occur? And be mindful that arcing series faults decrease circuit current draw and therefore reduce the likelihood the breaker will interrupt the faulted event.

I also have installed many of these, more than I care to remember. Getting older now. However, these do not have a place in a home installation, especially on a range.

I can think of many things they could be needed to stay on all the time .
From a sump pump to a fire sprinkler pump to a Medical oxygen generating machine to Fire detectors just to name a few.

I agree there are many things that do need to stay energized, I just dont think in a home there are a need for these type devices. There should only be a very few people that ever have access to a residential panel, unlike commercial or industrial settings.

I guess just a difference in thought, but I never want to leave a home circuit where the homeowner might not be able to remove power quickly if the need arises.