AC Disconnect

No ground at the AC disconnect, any ideas on how to write this up?
Home was built in 1980, no electrical problems found.

Hill 002.jpg

Hill 002.jpg

Hill 002.jpg

The feeders have an EGC to the box. It looks like they used the conduit as the EGC for the unit.

Jeff thanks for the reply… So you like what you see?

I like to see an additional conductor. Too many times the conduit becomes damaged and/or disconnected, thereby eliminating the grounding connection. But I think the sparkies on board will tell you this is an age appropriate installation.

Looks like liquidtight to me, but I’m looking at it from Arizona…:cool:

Boy, Dale you sure have good eyes to see all the way to Vacaville from Arizona…

That is “liquidtight” conduit manufactured by TYCO Electric.

And it does have a tendency to come apart if the unit vibrates too much. An addition ground wire should be added to protect the system.

:smiley:

I didn’t think Liquid Tight offered much of a ground…:smiley:

Liquidtight is encased metallic, I believe. My 1984-installed condensing unit uses a liquidtight run which has no separate ground wire, and I measured excellent continuity betweem the frame of the unit and the house main GEC. I’m not arguing that a separate ground wire wouldn’t be better, but I’m not sure its absence is a defect.

Thanks to all, much appreciated…

That’s what it looks like from Los Angeles as well.

I don’t recall ever seeing any other type of conduit used for condenser unit installations.

Liquid-Tight?

Yes. LFMC (Liquidtight Flexible Metal Conduit).

It is allowed to be used as the EGC per NEC 250.118(7)

Cool.

As Jeff said Liquidtight flexible metallic conduit qualifies for grounding as per 250-118-7 but take note of all the requirements. Note that it is limited to 20 amps (for grounding purposes) if it is 1/2", 60 for 3/4-1&1/4 and it must not exceed 6 feet in length.

Today a lot of Liquidtight NON metallic conduit is in use, it’s cheap & easy to work with, but you have to pull a grounding conductor.

Hmmmm…I learned something today.

Thanks Jeff!

Brian, that is what I thought the picture was…:smiley:

Are you referring to ENT?

I was, but the picture doesn’t paint a clear picture…:smiley:

No. ENT is like blue smurf tube. I am talking about LNMFC, Liquidtight non metallic flexible conduit. It looks just like LMFC except there is no metal inside and the fittings contain no metal.