Aluminum wire and alumiconn connectors

I did a house last month, had aluminum wiring and a Fed Pacific Stablok panel. I was just asked to reinspect after repairs. The seller replaced the panel, and the electrician installed alumiconn connectors at the peripheral circuit - receptacles, outlets, etc.
He says he doesn’t have to install the Alumiconn connectors at the Square D panel because it terminates at a lug, not a screw connection (like on a receptacle). I have not seen or heard this before, but I guess it makes sense!? Comments?

Look at the breaker. It will say AL/CU on it likely. That tells you that the lug is rated for the aluminum wire.
http://www.structuretech1.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Square-D-Homeline.jpg

You might also contact the mfr.

I believe that I would include a disclaimer for the AlumiConn connectors, considering that proper torque is a critical aspect of the installation and you have no way of validating it.

Andrew:
My question to you is “Are your a licensed electrician?”

I gather from your post that a “licensed electrician” has made repairs.

Why on earth would you want to return and critique or inspect something done by a professional. Leave the liability at his/her feet. No need for you to take that on, IMHO

Cheers

Andy did you do a 4 pt inspection also? If so you would need documentation of any aluminum wiring remediation from a licensed electrician to accompany the 4 pt. That would cover you also.

The Alumiconn has an alternative method of tightening that does not require a torque screwdriver.

I guess they need to update their instructions and website then.

Yeah - the manufacturer stresses the amount of torque is important in the installation of the Alumiconn connectors.

There were other issues, and the client asked me to return to verify repairs had been made, including replacement of a Fed Pacific Stablok panel, etc. I will advise them to get verification in writing from the electrician as to the alumiconns and their proper installation.

Alternative manufacturer approved method is shown in 3A of the installation instructions pdf.

My original point about the home inspector not being able to visually determine whether a terminal connection has been made properly still stands.

The same could be said for many components of the system. Can you visually tell if a lug has been torqued to the proper spec?

Side note, the 17 NEC calls for even device screws to meet torque specs.

2020 NEC (as it stands now) will remove the term “calibrated” from 110.14(D) and will relax the entire section. Guess you will all have to wait to see what comes of the first draft votes.