Amps, Please

Are we looking at a 60 amp service or a 100 amp service?

The power company says it’s 60 amp, but I am questioning that the connection to the 100 amp panel is where the service enters the 60 amp main fuse, not after, making it 100 amps.

I’d venture a 60 amp that needs help but I am looking from MI.

What size are the SEC that feed the panelboard on thje right?

I base my reporting on the capacity after the disconnect. If the disconnect is 60 amps, I would call it a “60 amp service.”

Ratings based solely on line-side components is not an accurate representation of the capacity for the residence.

James,

What is the size of the Service Conductors entering the Service Disconnect?

What is the rating of the Enclosure?

What is the size of the Service Overcurrent Protection Device?

Describe the Meter Enclosure Size and Design.

Your question is kinda cryptic in nature…Answer the questions above and it will be much clearer. I am not able to see the images very well so they dont help me sorry.

2 or 3 AWG, by size. 7 strand.

Service enters a 60 amp rated enclosure with 60 amp fuses at the main. Using what appears to be 2 or 3 AWG, at the point of service entry, there is a double lugged jump to a 100 amp rated enclosure.

If this occurred on the other side of the 60 amp fuse, I would call this a 60 amp service. Since it jumps over to the 100 amp enclosure at the point where the service enters the box, I am not so sure.

A 60 amp with an improper tap before the service disconnect (your double lugged jump).

Ditto, I would also be reporting it as 60amp

Regards

Gerry

60A… I agree with Larry’s view on the installation. It does appear that the main service disconnect lugs are double tapped and i am 100% sure the lugs are not rated for that.

Chances are it was a 60A panel and the DIY upgrade somewhere along the line added the additional panelboard which the POCO I am sure is totally unaware of.

The conductors you have given would be on the surface acceptable for 100A, however, in light of the fact the improper lugging and limitations to the termination I would call it out as 60A and defer it to an elecrical contractor.

Does it possibly have the potential to be a 100A service…could be but all depends on the rating of that 1st enclosure the service conductors arrive at because of the weakest link theory. I believe that first panel is only 60A rated, so this would limit it regardless of what someone did later on down the road by double tapping to a second panelboard.

Even legally done feed-thru type enclosures would have a fully rated main enclosure so I question this installation and again suggest you defer and make it clear in the report that it is unclear and potential issues are present to verified by a licensed electrical contractor.

Thank you, my fine Electrical scholars and gentlemen. I will report it as a 60 Amp service and point out the defects.

I think that SE Panel would keep me awake at night knowing it was in the same place I was—:shock:

I hear you…but remember. No codes, here. The electrical expert who installed this service panel and sub panel required no training. license or registration. No AHJ to inspect it…no codes to comply with.

The funniest part of this…this is a commercial building that used to be a real estate brokerage.

OMG Jim, is that hilarious—:stuck_out_tongue:

.lol…who said he was an Expert…:wink:

James,

In your professional opinion, do you think that if that electrical expert was required to be licensed by state, that this installation most likely would have been better? :wink:

lol…only if it is HONESTLY inspected by a well trained electrical inspection staff. So without either you have nothing to guage "EXPERT"too. Not all Electricians are experts, I teach them on a day in and out basis and none are experts. They pass a test and learn practicle installation methods but they are not “EXPERTS”…this can be a self proclaimed status or reality status…either way the consumer must choose based on a persons body of work. Electricians do not claim to be experts…Only Electricians.

lol…sorry as I could not help it…Im being POSTY tonight.

James I mean Paul…

In all honesty no one is an expert in anything, not even you or me.

But my point is: if that electrical expert as referred to by James was licensed, it most likely would have made him more knowledgeable than not being licensed.

What do you say POSTY? lol

Nope.

Why?

Do you know the guy…

For the exact same reasons that passing a test, passing a course, and getting a license in Illinois does not make one a good home inspector.

Licensing solves nothing.