Anti trip device

Manufactured anti trip device. Is/when is this allowed?

DSCF2088 (Small).JPG

Your picture is terrible, but I suspect it is a breaker lockout. They do not prevent the breaker from tripping. They are used as a lockout tag out means.

I agree, looks like a lockout.

Sure looks different than any Lockout Tag outs I have ever seen.
Plus the breaker is in the On position, so how would that work?

I have one similar in shop… but a little hard to tell for sure. If it is same, then turn breaker off and it should then slide or move over to block breaker… then put in lock through hole and hold it off. I could be wrong, but it looks awful similar to what I have. But then again, more pics would help.

Stays in place when breaker is on (at least mine does). Simply does not hold it or do anything at that position.

I agree also looks like a breaker lockout used in lieu of a disconnecting means for an appliance. Was this a dishwasher circuit? Locking a CB in the closed or ON position is permitted and in some cases required by the NEC.

GE Distribution THP100 Handle Lock; Snap-On Mount
Most likely on some sort of security system.

The breaker is for a fire pump controller. It is locking the breaker in the “on” position. Photo is fine on this end…

Yes it is.

The internal trip of the breaker will still function for overload and short circuit BUT this device keeps you from powering the fire pump controller down mistakenly.

The restraining mechanism flips out of the way if needed. Just cut the wire tie and move it.

Cool, thanks.

That makes sense since it’s required by the NEC to allow a lock to be installed when it’s in the closed position and GE lists that product to be used in either the lock OFF or lock ON position:

Is this in a commercial building? I see 22kaic breakers, just wondering.

Yep, commercial.