Appliance bonding

Thanks for the comments on gutters. Here is the other half. Texas Standards state:

report as in need of repair appliances and electrical gutters that do not have proper bonding;

I presume they speak of installed appliances that will convey. I am not aware of appliances that are bonded. I thought they were grounded. Am I missing something?

TY

John, most appliance cases are bonded to their grounding systems, is TREC suggesting that Texas inspectors start disassembling washer, dryers & dishwashers to verify that fact??:shock:

Regards

Gerry

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think they require disassembly but they would require some sort of test to assure continuity. It’s the classic problem of a prescriptive technical document written by generalists and not experts.

Fred & Brian wrote it…make them tell us how to comply :twisted: .

Could be as simple as sticking one meter prong in the hot slot of a receptacle, and sticking the other meter lead on the metal of the appliance (range, dishwasher, etc.) and see if you read 120V or not. This test isn’t fool-proof, of course, but would be a good start. This simple test alone is surely beyond the scope of a typical home inspection, and any more conclusive testing is way-way, way beyond the scope of a regular home inspection.

I did ask on behalf of the new guy and here is the reply:

The best suggestion that I can give you is to go back to your education provider and have them teach you how to comply with all provisions of the standards of practice.

City of Frisco requires bonding of all Type B, chimney flues, metal air ducts and kitchen range vents. Not sure if they amended Fuel Gas code. I do not have a copy. I’ll dig up some photos. Band clamps on Type B and chimney with bare # 8 to the panel. Looks weird.

New SoP say bond ALL metal pipe. So I guess we write up all of above plus cast iron vent pipes?

SNAG-0004.jpg

Your “out” there is “likely to become energized”. This means different things to different people. Additionally, if the appliance connected to a certain duct or vent is already bonded, then the duct or vent is also bonded.

Not that it adds much but here’s a related article from NECPlus that I recently received: Bonding

So don’t lean on the dryer when there is a lightning storm? :smiley:

Bonding is not for lightning protection anyhow.

Unless your in Frisco Texas. I swear they bond Type B flues to the panel to reduce lightning strike risk. Its in the jpg attachment earlier in this thread.

Bonding may not be specified as being lightning protection but if everything was bonded the chance of being injured by lightning in your home is virtually eliminated.
When Mythbusters did their series of lightning experiments (shower, phone etc) in the PG&E test house the first thing they had to do to get any result was lift the connection to the grounding electrode.

Bonding is extremely important to keep families save, by reducing the risks of lightening shocks and will also help to reduce the need for appliance repair if bonding is not present and in some cases the home appliances may need to be replaced completely. It’s great to see more and more states adopting bonding as a safe and best practice.

Could you not simply test with an ohm meter?

OMG I can’t just sit this one out idly while some one else might just learn about VAC like I did when I was 3. Cut off power or unplug the appliance and just check for continuity between ground and neutral. Nothing to do with hot or checking a hot appliance.