Arc Flash

The Importance of Arc Flash Assessment
[FONT=Arial]April 21, 12 p.m. Central

Electrical hazards cause more than 300 deaths and 4,000 injuries in the workplace each year. In fact, electrical accidents rank sixth among all causes of work-related deaths in the United States.

Between 2003 and 2007, 28,401 workers died while on the job. Contact with some form of electric current was the seventh leading cause of occupational fatalities during this period, accounting for 1,213 work-related fatalities. Another 13,150 workers were injured so severely from these electrical accidents that their injuries required time off from work.

Can you really afford to miss this presentation? This webinar will focus on compliance regulations, changes to NFPA 70E as they apply to arc flash, and how companies can get and stay compliant. Mr. Evans will define arc flash and discuss the various governing bodies and regulations pertaining to arc flash. He will detail the elements of an arc flash assessment.

Presenter: James B Evans, PE, Director of Engineering, Salisbury

Mr. Evans has more than 38 years of design and management experience on industrial, institutional, and utility electrical projects. He has held positions as managing partner in a 35 person Consulting Engineering firm, Chief Electrical Plan examiner for 34 municipalities in southern Ohio, and Practice Leader of the Energy and Utilities Group for an eight hundred person Consulting Engineering Firm. Mr. Evans served in the United States Air Force and is a licensed pilot.

Moderator: Kyle Morrison, Senior Associate Editor, Safety+Health magazine

Mr. Morrison has reported on occupational safety for the National Safety Council for the past four years.

[Register now!

[/FONT]](http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=8n99arcab&et=1105077851885&s=17305&e=001Sg_H3kTmfVy51jdl6c_iHN3psZRJv3Z9054cdYk230h1IDmzGDPdomchiXXjScRjuC4dmQYDZIvszzjEx5S14ZGh0c1oLFYX--3nLHv7W5R-hUnoawRvm34bRdoH4ZAagt--ZdPf2saUdVbC7NOIn-I0LtWtcl_GlYHTx0QNmsMTkRwIsJfVn96fZ1SIEsR9zlLzOjHLnlk=)Register
today

Presenter

http://www.nsc.org/NSC%20Picture%20Library/shportal/webinarPromo/evans.jpg

James B. Evans, PE, Director of Engineering, Salisbury by Honeywell, Salisbury Assessment Solutions

http://www.nsc.org/NSC%20Picture%20Library/shportal/webinarPromo/kyle.jpg

Kyle W. Morrison,
Senior Associate Editor, Safety+Health

Sponsor

http://www.nsc.org/NSC%20Picture%20Library/shportal/webinarPromo/salistrans.png

If your interested, it is free. From the National Safety Council
Duke

A real eye opener recommend all who can go for it … Roy

You will gain a lot of respect for electricity…

Thanks for offering this to our industry.

This is definitely required for people working with high voltage. 120 volt systems that home inspectors work with do not have enough energy to cause an arc flash hazard.

Gee I guess you know more then I thanks for the information .
Many home Inspectors do some comercial inspections .
Also Very few homes have only 120 volt all I have seen have 240 volts.
30 volts can kill a person just as dead as 6,000 volts .

It’s not the voltage that kills you, it’s the amperage. That is taught in high school electrical courses. Maybe the Alzheimer’s is catching up to you Roy.

Since voltage and current are directly proportional in a resistive circuit (your body) the voltage does matter.

Hello All,

I think the biggest thing to understand is that an Arc Flash Condition can be different than having basic understanding of common electrical hazards that we get complacent about. Typically an Arc Flash and Blast would only be something to worry about in systems where it can be sustained and not extinguished. Normal 120/240V systems on a residential application is limited to 10KAIC so naturally the effects of an Arc Flash/Blast are limited however not totally eliminated. You still could have a minor condition where a bolted fault condition happens and spits out some metal into your eye and blind you for life which in anyones book is life altering to say the least.

We have to also remember that Arc Flash Analysis is more to do with knowing and understanding the condition to which the person is going to be working. What are the boundaries to be aware of and the proper procedures to locking out equipment for safe operation and repair. This type of class will make you aware of the hazards of voltages and fault current conditions that present a flash concern. No home or commercial inspector should be looking at live equipment in the range that could cause such a condition…it should be shut down for inspection.

While I am sure it is a GREAT seminar and I encourage everyone to attend…do not begin to think it will teach you how to reduce your changes of being shocked as that is not the focus of NFPA 70E as a whole. Since none of you will be working on or examining with devices and most certainly would not have the properly fitted PPE don’t expect a lesson on how to be safe around issues that home inspectors deal with…

Yes, it only takes 1/10th of an amp to kill you…However, what kills you is not being electrocuted…it is from the contact onto the energized circuit to which contact resistance lowers and causes ventricular fibrillation of the heart to which starves the brain of oxygen and you die…Now sure LARGE amounts of current can kill you rather fast by indeed electrocution…it is primarily all about time and contact resistance that plays the final undertaker in this concept with lower voltages you all come in contact with.

Final note…remember Arc Flash is different than the everyday hazards you guys encounter…unless of course you are inspecting large commercial projects…and if venturing into larger electrical equipment…(not actually touching anything) I would suggest at a minimum proper PPE face guards and clothing for the condition.

Just some thoughts…but i do recommend the class for everyone who wants to see the awesome force of Electricity…

Paul,
Thanks for making this clear for the folks that don’t understand.

yeah…but my grammar sucks…Edited

Thanks for the lesson I did not take electrical in High school in Fact I did not go to high school.
But did manage to learn a bit over the years.

Being factious does not add much to your post.

I always like to end…I am not a brain surgeon…I am an Electrician…However, I did stay at a holiday inn express last night…wheres the knife?

Just Linus being Linus Roy.:wink:

I didn’t say you were wrong Roy, just confused.:stuck_out_tongue:

If I am not wrong why would I be confused .
I made a true statement .
You are the one who got factious ,
In case you do not know what Factious means it is being a smart @$$ .

Too many are like this on this forum and unfortunatly it does drive people away.

Are you too old to drive Roy?:p:p

I see you are the one who is changing subjects is it hard for you to concentrate on one subject.

Roy you have to watch out for these young Bucks they’ll run right over you !
Of course Linas wouldn’t do that . :D:D:D

Electricity is the one thing I hate about our business.

I’d rather take a dead front off over crawling belly down in a nasty, smelly, cob webbed filled crawlspace any day of the week