Back To Basics- Electrical Theory Quiz 2

Quiz on Basic Electrical Theory – Subject : “Matter”

1.) Everything on earth that has weight and occupies space is called ________. Which is/are made up of atoms of elements.

• Matter
  • Elements
  • Energy
  • Compounds

2.) When the atoms of elements combine, they produce __________. The smallest particles of a(n) ___________ is called a molecule.

• Matter
  • Elements
  • Energy
  • Compound(s)

3.) Atoms contain three types of subatomic particles: Electrons, Protons, and Neutrons. The _________ orbit around the nucleus.

• Electrons
  • Protons
  • Neutrons
  • Nucleus

4.) Because of their light weight,____________ actively participate in the transfer of energy.

• Electrons
  • Protons
  • Neutrons
  • Nuclei

5.) ________________ do not participate in the flow of energy and they have a positive electrical charge with lines of force going straight out in all directions.

• Electrons
  • Protons
  • Neutrons
  • Nuclei

6.) The Law of Electrical Charges states that subatomic particles with like charges repel each other.

· True
· False

7.) The Law of Electrical Charges states that subatomic particles with unlike charges repel each other.

• True
  • False

8.) If an atom contains more electrons than protons, the atom has a negative atomic charge.

• True
  • False

9.) If two conductive materials in contact with each other are separated, most of the electrons will return to the original surface before separation is complete.

• True
  • False

10.) When insulated materials are in contact with each other, electrons move to the surface of each other, but the protons remain on the original surface.

• True

• False

Bonus Question:

11.) Lightning protection is intended to protect the building structure itself, as well as the electrical equipment on or inside the building structure.

• True
    *]False

Quiz 2 Answers on Basic Electrical Theory – Subject : “Matter”

1.) Everything on earth that has weight and occupies space is called ________. Which is/are made up of atoms of elements.

• Matter
  • Elements
  • Energy
  • Compounds

2.) When the atoms of elements combine, they produce __________. The smallest particles of a(n) ___________ is called a molecule.

• Matter
  • Elements
  • Energy
  • Compound(s)

3.) Atoms contain three types of subatomic particles: Electrons, Protons, and Neutrons. The _________ orbit around the nucleus.

• Electrons
  • Protons
  • Neutrons
  • Nucleus

4.) Because of their light weight,____________ actively participate in the transfer of energy.

• Electrons
  • Protons
  • Neutrons
  • Nuclei

5.) ________________ do not participate in the flow of energy and they have a positive electrical charge with lines of force going straight out in all directions.

• Electrons
  • Protons
  • Neutrons
  • Nuclei

6.) The Law of Electrical Charges states that subatomic particles with like charges repel each other.

**· **True
· False

7.) The Law of Electrical Charges states that subatomic particles with unlike charges repel each other.

• True
  • False

8.) If an atom contains more electrons than protons, the atom has a negative atomic charge.

• True
  • False

9.) If two conductive materials in contact with each other are separated, most of the electrons will return to the original surface before separation is complete.

• True
  • False

10.) When insulated materials are in contact with each other, electrons move to the surface of each other, but the protons remain on the original surface.

• True

• False

Bonus Question:

11.) Lightning protection is intended to protect the building structure itself, as well as the electrical equipment on or inside the building structure.

]True
** False

I had 1 wrong. #9
Once I thought about it I totaly understood that I had over thought the question.

Wow Paul, thanks, brings back memorys of the school days

long time ago :wink:

Paul,

Prove your answer to #9. I had an argument over this with a nuclear chemistry professor and won it because he couldn’t prove your answer. There is no way to differentiate (identify) which electron was attached to which nucleus in the past. Therefore, one cannot determine if the electron is on the original surface or not. Electrons exhibit (nearly) random movement about a nucleus and are shared by nuclei in a compound or an accumulation of pure elemental matter.

Chances are only 2 in one hundred that the charge in eV on both materials will be the same if the materials are the same. Much less than that if the two conductive materials are dissimilar.

Great test though!

TG

I didn’t understand the wording of #9 & #10.

This also brings back memories of my school days, when I learned to write in 1mm high lettering to make the most of the 3x5 card we were allowed for notes for the Chem 1 exams.

Question # 9 - Explained

If two conductiive materials in contact with each other are separated, most of the electrons will return to the original surface before the separation is complete.

When unlike insulated materials are in intimate contact, electrons from one of material move across the interface of the first material. When the bodies are quickly separated, both will display a charge because one material will have an excess of electrons ( negative charge ) while the other will have fewer electrons ( positive charge ). Static charge is due to an excess of, or deficiency of, electrons between objects that have been separated.

Because of the seperation of the electrons and the deficiency of the fewer electrons one surface will draw back to contain its weaker structure so to speak cauing and in the process the charge becomes the catalist for the seperation causing the original surface electrons to return ( at the charge ) just prior to seperation.

Hope this explains it…easier to do in class…but you are not the first to question that number…lol

I should mention that I am a instructor for basic theory and use Mike Holts books for my classes so most of my questions and experience come from teaching these types of classes…just never had a basic theory class for HI’s…no time like the present to start but figured you all would fine them fun.

P.S…determining the positive or negative charge effect is not relavant to the question. The concept is a theory that is tested under proven terms not everyday terms. What we do know is you have a positve charge you have an ataom that contains more protons than electrons…right…

Ok…so a negative charge has more electrons than protons…right…

The charge potential of the pos and neg are the cause for static discharge…because of the presence of both within the Law of Atomic Charges. Most of the time the electrical charge of an atom is balanced or neutral…their are equal numbers of Pos and Neg charges within the atom ( ie: the number of electrons and equal the number of protons )…right…

Under this condition no electrical charge is present…However…When the negative charge is developed it is a product of the atom picking up an additional electron or two and storing them in the electron cloud if you will…

So charged atoms in the postive nature have more protons than electrons right…now how does a negative atom become a positive atom…with the loose of electrons now…

In the ever changing environent the electrons and protons are losing and gain on surfaces all the time…which is where the potential for enequal balanced lie…which play into the static charge effect…the moment the different positions are taken the charge becomes reflected in terms of seperation and then the charge is effective…the moment of seperation.

Man it is hard to explain this in typing…lol

P.S…guys for the new year I am just building you up…learn the theory and then I will post some quizzes on code items and then explain how they relate to the HI in the field…I will never just give you a code number and leave you hangin…dont worry…

We are here to teach…NOT confuse !

Paul-

These quizes are great! Just the thing to shake the “holiday” cobwebs off hte brain. Thanks.:cool:

Paul,
Thanks for reminding me how much I forgot.
Louis

lol…Bump

lol…bump

lol…Bump for the NEWBIES