Bonding Jacuzzi Motor

Lender called and asked me to look at a newer Home Inspectors Report AND the Repair Electricians Report … They said

1. Home Inspection Report

An electrician came out and said:

1. Home Inspection Report:

[/FONT]

The electricians report said:

Applicable Comments or Thoughts**

the lender has opinions/comments from both parties that actually were on site to postulate their opinions/comments

are you trying to prove something by injecting your opinion or requesting of others to step into the crosshairs of something they have no factual knowledge of?

have fun stroking the lender big guy

Lender called and asked me to look at a newer Home Inspectors Report AND the Repair Electricians Report … They said

1. Home Inspection Report
    Quote:
    The whirlpool either had no visible ground OR no visible bonding wire. Have electrician verify its presence or install one.

An electrician came out and said:

Quote:
Code requires all metal piping system, metal parts of electrical equipment and pump motors associated with a jacuzzi tub to be bonded not grounded. I observed no metal piping visible from the access door under the jacuzzi and no additional electrical equipment other than the single pump motor and jacuzzi tub faucets , therefore no bonding is necessary and GFCI protection is sufficient.

1. Home Inspection Report:
    Quote:
    The light switch at the top of the basement stairs turned on the light over the stairs, but the light switch at the foot of the basement stairs did NOT turn on the light over the stairs. It could be defective, a burned out bulb OR the light may not be wired properly. Repair as needed.

The electricians report said:
Quote:
All lights in basement function with switches. The switch at the bottom of the stair was removed and a blank plate was installed in its place.
Applicable Comments or Thoughts

***the lender has opinions/comments from both parties that actually were on site to postulate their opinions/comments

are you trying to prove something by injecting your opinion or requesting of others to step into the crosshairs of something they have no factual knowledge of?

some things to consider based on info provided

jac/spa/pool motors require bonding at the mfr lug connection, absence is a deficiency

https://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f19/55997d1339344387-your-thoughts-bond-e40-hydromassage_tub_-whirlpool-.jpg

covering/omitting a required switch is a deficiency

http://ecmweb.com/site-files/ecmweb.com/files/archive/ecmweb.com/nec/code_qa/210-70A2c01web.jpg

have fun stroking the lender big guy***

***the lender has opinions/comments from both parties that actually were on site to postulate their opinions/comments

some things to consider based on your provided info

jac/spa/pool motors require bonding at the mfr lug connection, absence is a known deficiency

covering/omitting a required switch is a known deficiency

http://ecmweb.com/site-files/ecmweb.com/files/archive/ecmweb.com/nec/code_qa/210-70A2c01web.jpg

have fun stroking the lender big guy***

Earlier versions of the NEC did not require bonding to anything but the metal piping and grounded metal parts that carried the circulating water (it was almost always plastic so no bonding was required). This has been revised for the 2017 NEC.

A light switch is required on each level when there are more than 5 stair risers, they do not need to be 3-ways, just one switch on each level.

http://www.neca-neis.org/code-question-of-the-day/code-question/cqd-for-2-6-2003

RM
always appreciate you input
some states require beyond nec requirements
tx as an example required reporting absence of afci until recent adoption
inspectors were **actually fined **for not reporting afci absence regardless of the equipment age & industry inability to provide afci replacement devices
trec & their inspector committee aren’t the brightest on the planet & often have alternative realities

http://www.neca-neis.org/code-question-of-the-day/code-question/cqd-for-2-6-2003

True, here in NJ we have a short list of NEC amendments too. My response to the OP was purely from an NEC perspective. The electricians response to the first part was correct regarding the bonding.

The switch question was less clear, a switch is required on each level when there are 6 or more stair risers. It’s unclear whether a switch exists on each level after the electrician said that the switch at the bottom of the stairs was blanked off.

I have never seen a whirlpool tub that required bonding . The circulating water is never in contact with metallic piping.

I would think a switch was needed as as standard staircase is over 6 risers between floors.

Judging by this the electrician is referring to the lights in the basement, and not on the stairwell. Not sure without seeing the house what kind of lights he is talking about but could possibly be pull string lights or other lights on switches. Either way if switch at bottom of stairs was removed and can no longer turn on or off light on stairwell it is a code violation that needs to be addressed.

This seems appropriate to post here… https://youtu.be/P0nfvzl86A0

Some of the information in that video is incorrect, the part where Mikes talks about bonding the metal water piping system that is not part of the re-circulation is not required. This is from the 2011 NEC, there was a code change in the 2014 NEC to clarify this.

Does the motor/pump require a bond if it is a plastic type-non metallic housing?

Is there any metallic piping in contact with the circulating water?

Every electric spa I have seen has a heating unit that is installed inside metal piping.

I believe that this thread is about hydromassage tubs most of which have no heating units.

No … :mrgreen:

Then this would need to be bonded.

Good thread to read. I only call out bonding if there is something else metal under the tub near the motor. If it is all plastic piping and wooden studs then no bond.

it’s not a spa…it’s a Hydromassage Bathtub with regards to the question being presented.