Busbar & connectors painted over

Upon removing the interior circuit breaker panel cover, I occasionally have observed the busbar, connectors & bare wiring painted over.
The NEC code calls for total replacement of the panel, simply taking apart the panel & removing/cleaning the paint & reassembling is not recommended.
Does anyone have any info or a link about this type deficiency?
THANK YOU & BE SAFE!

Marc A. Goldenberg
State License # HI1365
All Tropic Home Inspection Services
www.alltropic.com

Busbar& Connectors  Painted Over.jpg

Busbar& Connectors  Painted Over.jpg

Marc,
I can’t hep with ant links but was hoping to get more info. from you. In the past i have built projects through out Palm Beach county and in my experiance the electrical inspectors would never let something like that fly. I was curious judging from the size of the panel pictured I’m guessing that is either a condo. or an apartment. If that is the case i wonder if the builder hired a private inspection company because most of the county electrical inspectors are ball busters

Thanks Mark.
This was in a Boca Raton condo built in 1970.
Sometimes I find it in single family homes less that 10 years old.

Right in the NEC:

It wasn’t until the 1990’s that this was mentioned in the NEC. Before this the code just stated “equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.”

That being said I always recommend replacement of the affected components when paint or texture is on the interior of a panel.

www.MauiHomeInspections.com

That panel is the worst I have ever seen.

I’ve always viewed neat and workmanlike as unenforceable since the phrase isn’t defined anywhere in the NEC and is completely subjective.

There is a definition for “Professional workmanlike manner”. I am looking for it.