Cable guy needs a basic electricity class

Not that this is something I normally look for, but I posted it here for humor reasons. (Note the piping material.)

041611 042.JPG 041611 043.JPG

He installed it just like the training video told him to do it.

That’s why they are only allowed to use the meter masts for the most part now though that used to be common.
If caught he gets fined and loses the job money as many work on commission.Those mistakes are still everywhere however as they are also under time pressure to make the next job on schedule.

Had a similar installation at my own home. When I bought the place I noticed that a row of roof shingles were lifted up. Upon further inspection I found that the cable guy had run the bonding wire across the roof and down to the water spigot under a row of shingles. The 2008 NEC had addressed these types of installations by requiring an Intersystem Bonding Terminal at the service to ensure that the cable guy doesn’t bond to the plastic water pipe. You should start seeing more and more of these or similar fittings as time goes by:

http://arlcatalog.com/Grounding/Langford_G.pdf

EC&M did a nice article about Intersystem Bonding Terminal in Oct. 2008 by Mike Holt

http://enews.penton.com/enews/electricalzone/codewatch/2008_10_23_october_23_2008/view.html

Top 2008 Code Changes

http://enews.penton.com/enews/electricalzone/codewatch/2008_10_23_october_23_2008/a081022/graphic

250.94 Intersystem Bonding Terminal
By Mike Holt
A new rule requires an intersystem bonding terminal for communications systems. According to Art. 100, an intersystem bonding terminal is a device that provides a means to connect communications systems grounding and bonding conductors to the building grounding electrode system.

An external accessible intersystem bonding terminal for the grounding and bonding of communications systems shall be provided at service equipment and disconnecting means for buildings or structures supplied by a feeder. The intersystem bonding terminal shall not interfere with the opening of any equipment enclosure and be one of the following:

1. Terminals listed for grounding and bonding attached to a meter socket enclosure.
  2. Bonding bar connected to the equipment grounding conductor with a minimum 6 AWG copper conductor.
  3. Bonding bar connected to the grounding electrode conductor with a minimum 6 AWG copper conductor.

An Exception to this requirement notes that at existing buildings or structures, an external accessible means for bonding communications systems together can be:

1. Nonflexible metallic raceway,
  2. Grounding electrode conductor, or
  3. Connection approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction.

A second Fine Print Note states communications systems shall be bonded to the intersystem bonding terminal in accordance with the following:

* Antennas/Satellite Dishes [810.15 and 810.21]
* CATV [820.100]
* Telephone Circuits [800.100]

It’s important to note that all external communications systems must be bonded to the intersystem bonding terminal to minimize the damage to communications systems from induced potential (voltage) differences between the systems from a lightning event.

This new requirement is one of several correlated proposals to improve the requirements related to the intersystem bonding and grounding of communications systems. This provides a more accessible, safer means of bonding all systems, such as power and communications, together.

EC&M did a nice article about Intersystem Bonding Terminal in Oct. 2008 by Mike Holt

http://enews.penton.com/enews/electricalzone/codewatch/2008_10_23_october_23_2008/view.html

Top 2008 Code Changes

http://enews.penton.com/enews/electricalzone/codewatch/2008_10_23_october_23_2008/a081022/graphic

250.94 Intersystem Bonding Terminal
By Mike Holt
A new rule requires an intersystem bonding terminal for communications systems. According to Art. 100, an intersystem bonding terminal is a device that provides a means to connect communications systems grounding and bonding conductors to the building grounding electrode system.

An external accessible intersystem bonding terminal for the grounding and bonding of communications systems shall be provided at service equipment and disconnecting means for buildings or structures supplied by a feeder. The intersystem bonding terminal shall not interfere with the opening of any equipment enclosure and be one of the following:

1. Terminals listed for grounding and bonding attached to a meter socket enclosure.
  2. Bonding bar connected to the equipment grounding conductor with a minimum 6 AWG copper conductor.
  3. Bonding bar connected to the grounding electrode conductor with a minimum 6 AWG copper conductor.

An Exception to this requirement notes that at existing buildings or structures, an external accessible means for bonding communications systems together can be:

1. Nonflexible metallic raceway,
  2. Grounding electrode conductor, or
  3. Connection approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction.

A second Fine Print Note states communications systems shall be bonded to the intersystem bonding terminal in accordance with the following:

* Antennas/Satellite Dishes [810.15 and 810.21]
* CATV [820.100]
* Telephone Circuits [800.100]

It’s important to note that all external communications systems must be bonded to the intersystem bonding terminal to minimize the damage to communications systems from induced potential (voltage) differences between the systems from a lightning event.

This new requirement is one of several correlated proposals to improve the requirements related to the intersystem bonding and grounding of communications systems. This provides a more accessible, safer means of bonding all systems, such as power and communications, together.

pix are example of a type being seen in my market for an idea on the look and size

The thing to remember is the rules change and these guys come out to see the mast at rear of a home but the client wants a new install at front and the length of ground wire to outside tap from ground strap is not allowed to exceed (tap to TV set or devise).
Rule used to be no more than 15 feet ground wire).

Not sure present day.

[quote=“jfunderburk, post:1, topic:58543”]

Not that this is something I normally look for, but I posted it here for humor reasons. (Note the piping material.)

Looks like it’s PVC and not CPVC from the picture.

It was. I caught that too. PVC bathroom vents and a PVC dryer duct also. There must have been a sale on.

[quote=“sgilligan1, post:8, topic:58543”]

Please share how you determined that.

[quote=“belliott, post:10, topic:58543”]

When I was in the crawl space, I saw lots of PVC water supply pipes.

[quote=“jfunderburk, post:11, topic:58543”]

Gottya.
Was hoping you had an instant identification trick.

Also Bob, I could see (and you can too) PVC at the exterior water pipe where it exists the brick.

Sure I could tell it was plastic,but not that it was regular PVC vs Cpvc.

Just because I have seen something similar.
During my mechanic days, I remember attaching a ground strap to fuel lines that were made of plastic. Oddly enough, the fuel pump still worked. So we looked deeper. The engineers decided that the fuel inside (water in this case) was conductive enough to allow a path to ground without blowing us up.
I am geussing that the ground attached to the metal will work fine as long as water is in contact with that bib. So regardless of the material. the water is the conductor. Its only a ground for the cable right.

My thoughts

Steve

Are you saying that relying on a plastic fitting and the water inside the pipe is sufficient to protect the system in the event of a lightning strike?

No. I didnt write that. And I dont think that was the intention for that 18awg wire in the first place The path of least resistance is not the plastic, its the water. Having had my house hit by lightning I can tell you that most of the wires survived. All the aplliances were protected by an anti-surge protection, which the electricity jumped the gap and fried 10 grand of TV, VCRs, Furnace AC and all the lights. No computers as it was 1996
The lightning used the TV co-axial box that was located at the end of my driveway. It followed the burried cable all the way to the SEC, and then into the house.

My post was explaining that the water in that Bib can and will conduct volatge to ground, not the plastic, as it is not attached the plastic in that pic. The ground is atttached to the metal part, which persumably has water in it.

Not to mention people turn off the outside water valve in winter.

Hey Bob,

Well, I dont shut mine off. I have two bibs and the they dont have an interior ‘winter’ shut off. When I had this place built in 2006 I never even thought of a different arrangement. Then come fall I went to close up the house for winter and was a little shocked that I didnt. I have anti frost with siphon break. No problems,so far

steve