Can VFD's run on a GFCI circuit?

I was wondering if you could install a VFD such as a wall mount fan into a GFCI outlet or are VFD’s normally hardwired?

I’ve never seen a corded VFD. It could be just me since I’ve never seen a residential application/necessity for one. If there is one, it would probably chop up that sine wave enough to create a bit of electrical noise. It might cause the electronics in the GFI to read something’s not right and trip it. How powerful of a wall fan do you have. Are you just trying to slow it down or just ease it up to full RPM?

Jeff

Yes, you can.

Can you post a link with some info or specs on a smaller VFD so I can look?

Jeff

Jeff,
I found this info. It doesn’t really answer your question but provides some insight.

When a VFD starts a motor, it initially applies a low frequency and voltage to the motor. The starting frequency is typically 2 Hz or less. Starting at such a low frequency avoids the high inrush current that occurs when a motor is started by simply applying the utility (mains) voltage by turning on a switch. When a VFD starts, the applied frequency and voltage are increased at a controlled rate or ramped up to accelerate the load without drawing excessive current. This starting method typically allows a motor to develop 150% of its rated torque while drawing only 50% of its rated current. When a motor is simply switched on at full voltage, it initially draws at least 300% of its rated current while producing less than 50% of its rated torque. As the load accelerates, the available torque usually drops a little and then rises to a peak while the current remains very high until the motor approaches full speed. A VFD can be adjusted to produce a steady 150% starting torque from standstill right up to full speed while drawing only 50% current

Thanks, Andrew.
I’ve worked with them many times, but like I said I’ve never seen one for residential use. I’m just used to the larger VFD’s for air handlers/chillers. 480V. Just looking for info on a smaller type.

Jeff

http://www.vacon.com/Default.aspx?id=471110