Cardboard over bus bar

I have no idea if this is normal or not. 200 amp Westinghouse panel. The bottom portion of the bus bar that is not being used or filled with breakers is being covered with a cut out piece of cardboard and is duct taped over the bar. I assume for protection but would that be considered acceptable??? I have never seen this before. I feel just the idea of putting it on or getting it off is a safety risk if say a home owner attempts without proper equipment.

DD4142C1-3164-41F4-BC98-922E92292F44.jpg

It’s quite common to see this done in commercial work where the electrician is working on the panel while it’s energized and doesn’t want to come in contact with the energized bus. For obvious reasons the cardboard should be removed from the panel when the work is done.

I always carry a longer length/reach lighter, that’s plastic (so I don’t get shocked), and burn out the cardboard. I then sweep out the ashes with plastic vacuum hose (again, don’t use metal) on my little shop vac.
Sellers and listing agents are happy - problem fixed, nothing to report, and everyone is happy. Win-win-win.
Tip: To save time, you can set it on fire and then let it burn out while you go inspect other things.

:shock:

I would never do that or advise anyone to do that for that matter.

I would never do that or advise anyone to do that for that matter. You’re kidding, right!

Wow, that’s what I thought.

Josh, we do have emojis. :p:mrgreen::smiley:

you wrote that so professionally i just know someone is gonna actually believe you are serious. lets all say a prayer for the poor schmuck -o<

I find duct tape stuck on the buss bars quite often and its always nice and crispy.

It prevents use of my IR camera so I pull it off and chunk it:D:D:D:mrgreen:

Awesome lol

X2 :mrgreen:

Some of you folks really need to lighten up a bit.

So you remove 98% emissive material so you can scan the 18% emissive object and measure your own body temperature? :wink:

Yipper:p:p;-)

Yipper:p:p;-) It is not very good emissivity when its not making contact its just hanging there keeping me from counting the threads on the bolt connections:D