Child proof covers?

Hi Inspectors,

When you are doing inspections on receptacles, do you remove those plastic child proofing plug-ins to test them?(the receptacles)
Inspected a house today, and almost every receptacle had these in it. I just figured I was not permitted to remove them? Your thoughts?

Regards,

There are times where I must inspect at least one receptacle per room and I find that every last one is either being utilized or contains a child proof cover. I then don’t have a choice but to remove one or two, once in a while.

Same as David. Then I say in my report, “Many receptacles were equipped with child-proof covers. In most circumstances, these covers were not removed for testing.”

I pull them out…test the receptacle…put them back in…it is very difficult and painstaking, but I do it anyway for my client.

I think the covers can be considered installed to prevent children from touching receptacles. So the inspector, with a client that has a copy of the SOP’s would understand the requirement to remove the covers and replace. I would only make a note that you asked the home owner to verify all caps are secured, to second check your securing of the caps again.

Just a guess…

tom

I pull and replace every one I can reach.

Tony,
My question was not involved with effort in mind, rather, leaving the things the way the home owner has them, or *defacing *property.
I have heard of inspectors removing these,(and replacing them), then the home owner saying they were ***not ***replaced back properly, and then guess who is at fault if something happens to little Joey if he sticks a bobby pin in it?! So effort was not in mind with this post, covering an inspectors behind was. I was interested in feedback involving this.

Regards

Doesn’t even come close to defacing property etc…No different than taking the electrical panel off for inspection or opening a cupboard door to check under the sink for leaks etc. Just remember to always put things back the way they were when you arrived. It’s just a pain in the a$$ to R/R them, but we do. The argument that it wasn’t put back in correctly…give me a break, I don’t even know how to respond to something that asinine:shock:

I’ll take my chances and keep removing/replacing them. How does any one know which ones were removed and which ones were not anyway? Usually most are just here and there from my past experiences.

I remove them when I am testing…just have to be very aware to put them back…but again I would remove them as it is better safe than sorry.

I can just see a homeowner putting them in because they know they have some bootleg grounds or rev. polarity and you don’t check them. It could get nasty.

Since you are only doing a sampling by the SOP if you are following it to the letter ( most do not and go a little beyond )…it would be well within your SOP to not test them but heck it only takes a second.

SO my opinion ( which is MY opinion and not an invitation to debate me )…is remove them as needed to check the receptacle on the minimum sampling…but for the record I test ALL receptacles…:slight_smile:

I completely agree. Didn’t know if it was one of those horror stories that may be a little too common. Ya hear it all I guess.

One problem I have seen with these is they tend to be thicker than a plug blade and they loosen up the socket

Ahh…you mean decrease the GRAB of the plug itself…excellent observation greg…I would have never figured that as I though they were about the same thickness.

Must be the ONES made in CHINA

Totally agree - but then, who am I, really?

When I moved in this house I had to replace every receptacle that had a child plug in it. They wouldn’t hold a plug. I just ended up doing them all.
I like spec grade stuff anyway. This may just be a problem with the 39 cent devices that were here, even though they didn’t look that old.

Hey…thats my line…

Good point. Never thought of that.

When I encounter these child-proof plugs, and the outlet is acceptable (not behind some furniture or something else) I always pull the plug and test the outlet, Then I ALWAYS replace the plug so I am not responsible for a child being shocked or electrocuted. If the resident installed cheap child-proof plugs, that is his/her fault. I will advise them that that particular plug MAY render the outlet loose and not particularily safe, so it would be wise for them to install better child-proof plugs if the outlet is loose fitting. Better safe than sorry, always!
George Maher
Home - Safe Home, LLC
Fargo, ND

Just a little tip for removing the covers. If you use the prong of the tester it fits perfectly into the slot that is cut out of the cover. All I do is just use edge of the prong and lift it out and it does not scratch or harm anything and goes much quicker. Just do one at a time so you don’t forget to place them all back in.