What is code and what is not?

[FONT=Arial][size=1]How can I find out if this is code or not for the state of TN?

ELECTRICAL: PANEL
PROB: THE GROUND AND NEUTRAL WIRES HAVE BEEN SEPARATED, HOWEVER THERE ARE NOW DOUBLE LUGGED [FONT=Arial][size=1][FONT=Arial][size=1]GROUND WIRES AT THE BUS BAR INSIDE THE MAIN PANEL.
[/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

Contact your local code official.

Is this from an inspection report? You would need a few photo’s or more information to provide an answer.

Normally that is not an issue.

That depends on other factors, Bob. Also, she want’s to know about “code”, not what is necessarily “safe”.

Then tell her it is a minor issue at best

Nope, not me. Not without more information and a couple of quality pic’s.

Generally speaking, in and of itself, I have no problem with the above. In fact, I prefer it. It shows that the sparky takes pride in his wormanship. It is always nice inspecting these panels. Sure, it would be nice if the grounds weren’t doubled, but that normally no biggie, if done right.

But… the first thing that jumps into mind (by the OP’s question) is if this is actually the service panel, or a sub-panel, and are they properly bonded?

When has a double tap GROUND wire ever been an issue?

If they are the same size/ type wire, not an issue.

Where do you live? There are many places in TN without code enforcement.
If the house was inspected by the AHJ, you must talk to the inspector that did the inspection.

Ok…when I read the original statement I have to examine what they are actually asking. So with that said let me re-post what the question was that the original poster was asking.

1.) I will assume that this ( assuming is not a good thing ) is a main service panel enclosure since nothing was said regarding it being a remote distribution panel enclosure.
2.) The grounded conductors ( neutrals in this case ) should be directly connected to the grounding conductors ( ground/bar conductors in this case) at the main service equipment. Separation of these at the source is a problem that has to be addressed as it brings into more questions for me…

Q1: Was their a main bonding jumper at this service equipment and did it provide for the connection of the grounded conductor, grounding conductors and equipment case to all come together? If yes then the separation is fine as long as something is bonding them all together.Thus their only separated in bus design but not in physical design.

Q2: Panel manufacturers will allow multiple ( check the listed for just how many ) equipment grounding conductors (ground in your question) to be under a single lug as long as it meets the listing of the termination. This is found on the manufacturers equipment label but we can use some common sense here…If there are (2) 14 AWG conductors under a single lug for the EGC’s then no harm…no foul. If you see (1) 12 AWG and (1) 14 AWG under the same lug…mention it as it would be impossible to properly torque a 12 AWG properly and still have it torque a 14 AWG properly.

Remember that the National Electrical Code is a safety standard no matter how you wish to slice it. The integrity of the available fault current path is reduced when proper terminations and torquing is not maintained. As for code in TN…simply follow the logic of the basic principles of the NEC® and you will be supported.

Agreed. The NEC does not prohibit “double-tapping” of the grounding conductors.

The information is usually Listed inside the Pane.