Correct circuit breaker and wire size for 2 A/C units

Hoping you guys can help me determine the correct wire size and circuit breaker i need for my air conditioners. Both units were installed 3 years ago and the company that performed the installation never said anything about installing new breakers or wire so I assumed everything was good.

This is what I do know about both units:

-Wire size for both units to the breaker box = 8 AWG copper
-Both units are about 40 feet (one way) from the breaker box
-The large unit (34 AMP MCA, 60 AMP MOP) is on a two pole 50 AMP at the breaker box and has a 60 AMP non-fused disconnect outside
-The small unit (22 AMP MCA, 35 AMP MOP) is on a two pole 50 AMP at the breaker box and has a 60 AMP non-fused disconnect outside.

I’ve been doing some reading on the internet about what is acceptable, in terms of wire size and fault protection, and it’s a bit overwhelming for someone not familiar electrical standards.

Does this electrical configuration look correct to you guys? Thanks in advance for advise you can provide.

-kyle

The small unit needs a maximum OCPD of 35 amps or less. With an MCA of 22 it could be 25 amps. The conductor size is OK.

In addition, the 60 amp disconnect is the maximum circuit it can be used on.

Hello Kyle,

So your net change will be to replace the 50 amp breaker with an HACR breaker (use the proper brand/type for the panel) of between 25 to 35 amps and you should be good to go.

And hire an electrician.

Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.
-keith