Crouse Hinds

Does anybody now if Bryant and Crouse Hinds breakers are compatable. I cant remember if one bought the other.

The Bryant/BR breakers will fit in a Crouse Hinds panel, but there doesn’t seem to be a direct replacement breaker on the market right now for a Crouse-Hinds panel. There is one UL listed Classified replacement breaker for a Crouse-Hinds panel, and that’s the Cutler-Hammer type CL breaker. There was a period of time in which some Crouse-Hinds breakers also said Murray, and for that reason, many believe that the Murray breakers are okay to use. Siemens now owns the Crouse-Hinds breaker line, along with the Murray brand name. Siemens has been tight-lipped as to whether the current Murray breakers are okay to use in Crouse-Hinds panels. Long story short, the Cutler-Hammer type CL breakers are the only breakers you’ll be able to find documentation on that makes them legitimate to use in a Crouse-Hinds panel.

Thanks Mark.

That is one great reply. So I take it that, while these breakers fit, and work, they are not UL listed, which will void the warranty on the box (as if that really matters with Crouse Hinds not being around any more). Just out of curiosity, outside of what you just said, how would you report this to your client.

Incompatible breakers.

“Long story short, the Cutler-Hammer type CL breakers are the only breakers you’ll be able to find documentation on that makes them legitimate to use in a Crouse-Hinds panel.”

Just answered my own question. (too early in the morning)

Funny side note…even if you use the UL Classified breakers from Cutler Hammer in a Crouse-Hinds enclosure…be sure the UL Sticker has been placed in the panel as well …it comes with the UL Classified breakers and without it TECHNICALLY it is not allowed unless the label is affixed.