Dedicated Bathroom receptacles

So the way I understand it is that bathroom receptacles must be on a dedicated circuit, or the bathroom receptacles can include the other outlets in that bathroom if the bathroom is on a dedicated circuit.

Why do they not want bathroom receptacles for example, on the same circuit as the receptacles of an adjacent bedroom? Where is the hazard?

No different than Kitchens, but I am sure Nathan explained that to you already. :roll:

So what is the hazard. I don’t know.

Juan,

They allow (but do not require) different bathrooms to have a single circuit for the receptacles. I believe they allow it so that only one GFCI receptacle can cover both bathrooms. I think it may be more of an economic solution.

Receptacles from one bathroom may be on the same circuit as ones from another bathroom. As long as nothing else from the bathrooms are on it (lights, heater, fan, etc.).

Or…

Each bathroom can have a dedicated circuit which may include lights and fan or whatever else that’s not recommended to have its own circuit.

Jeff

Thanks. That’s what I said. What is the intent of this.

I believe that all that has been stated depends on the year of construction.

Roy
1st Pro Inspection

Of course that’s true. So when and why did they implement these rules?

My guess would be because a bathroom uses a lot of power.
Unlike the bedroom.

So to avoid overloading the circuit?

Most likely.
Just think about all the things that gets plugged in.
Hair dryers, curling irons, ect…ect…

Hair dryer alone can use 1950 watts. Throw on something else and it will eventually trip.

Jeff

Juan, up here it is because bathrooms require GFCI protection and bed rooms require AFCI protected circuits.

Where is that like button?:mrgreen:

Bathrooms, kitchens and other specific areas require branch circuits that “have no other outlets” simply due to their estimated load. Most household circuits will be used for lighting and other low-load components, where these specified areas will generally have higher amperage equipment plugged in at any given time.

It’s not necessarily a “safety” thing.

More of a nuisance trip thing eh ?

Jeff, why is it when I give the same answer as you it sounds so much better when you say it :slight_smile:

Thanks Jeff. That makes sense.

You just have to take my “soft report” writing class. You’ll learn everything you need to know on “how to 'splain things.” :mrgreen:

Ill definitely be there :wink: