double GFCI protection

Is there a problem with there being two GFCI protected outlets on the same circuit ? the lower bathroom has a GFCI but it trips the one in the upper bathroom when tested. I have gotten mixed messages on this being a hazard or just a hassel for the owner.

Sounds like a belt and suspenders solutions.

tom

You are qoing to have to quit this type of response I have laughed until my side hurts.

There is no hazard or “violation” with this type of redundancy, however, it may become a nuisance.

This is also an indication of electrical work performed by a non qualified individual.

Maybe so. I know I’ve done it accidently. Sometimes months and months can pass between the time I rough-in a home and when I go back for finsh. I’ve already forgotten that I jumped off the main bath GFCI to serve the receptacle in a powder room, and accidently install a GFCI both places.

Marc, just for that reason, at rough in I take a couple short pieces of Romex skin, mark one “line” and the other “load”. and slip them over the respective conductors. Then, at trim out, which can be MONTHS later as you know, there is no question on the gfci placement.

Oh, I do that too, but if it’s a dead end, there’s no need. If it’s a location where a GFCI would normally be, and it’s a dead end, every now and again one will get installed. It’s really not that big of a deal, but I catch them when I’m doing the hot check.

ah, I see where that could happen. I guess you could label them GFCI or NO GFCI, but then you’d have to teach your guys to read! :smiley:

I always listen for the click from another location just in case.

Sometimes when I had a GFCI downstream of another GFCI, I would only get the local one to trip. The speed, and construction, isolated the fault and kept the upstream one working. As HI’s you just have to report that it’s protected(the circuit/receptacle), as an electrician/home owner I would want to fix it. :wink:

tom

I find this occaisionally. I inform the client of the potential for confusion, but I don’t call it out as a defect for repair. I also verbally inform them that a licensed electrician likely would not have done this.