Electric wires coated

Hi all
Need some advice.
Did an inspection here in Florida today and noticed the copper wires in the panel were coated black.
Also noticed the copper pipes in the bathrooms were coated with the same black substance.
There is no Chinese drywall, the house is concrete block and also has a concrete roof. House was built in 1974.
One thing they did tell me when I started investigating the issue is that there was/is a lot of Sulphur in the air around that neighborhood.

So, my question is, if the cause is from the Sulphur in the air, is this a concern for the electric panels and if so what is your recommendations?

Forgot to mention that they have well water and also a septic tank
Thanks in advance

This is what Google says .

https://www.google.ca/search?sa=X&q=What+is+oxidized+copper%3F&ved=0ahUKEwj4rsfRnIncAhVCyYMKHTZsBNYQzmcIUw&biw=1181&bih=788

Copper does not react with water, but it does slowly react withatmospheric oxygen to form a layer of brown-black copper oxide which,

unlike the rust that forms on iron in moistair, protects the underlying metal from further corrosion (passivation).

What would you recommendation be - is this an issue for all the wiring in the house as IO did see it on the wires for the light switches as well.

Copper wires in house are stained brown-black copper oxide . Recommend have electrician Check system and give advice on Electrical system

Thanks, that was what I was thinking but still curious to know if the black oxide is an issue - can this cause problems i.e. will it eventually go through the wires and cause electrical faults. Will the wires start arcing on the circuit breakers and lose connection?

No idea not my concern I do not report how to repair
. Report concern and move on .

Try Google for more info.

Where I am I often see absolutely black copper cold water lines, they look as if they have been painted with flat black paint. The cause here is condensation in summer, humid air, pipes are cold because the ground and water mains are cold. It does not hurt the pipes, but it does indicate that some type of de-humidification is called for. There is some sulphur in the air here as well, lots of refineries pipe lines and gas wells.

It is not up to you to predict the future. It is up to you to report what you find at the time of the inspection. Anything else is an opinion or assumption which you should keep away from as far as possible.

David - I understand that it is an opinion and agree with you. I am merely trying to find out (for my knowledge) what the ramifications may be (if any) and if anyone else has come across this.

Oxidation is the cause of much confusion. While it is corrosion in many cases it will not affect the eventual usefulness of the products. The main concern is and will always be at the termination points as the oxidation can and will raise the resistance ( or impedance) at the contact point. However, in the actual wire itself it can serve to actually show down the corrosive affects in both CU or AL.

If terminations are done properly, torqued properly as well then dis-colorization on the conductors themselves is benign.

1 Like