Electrical Opinions

This has always been a sore spot with me.

Hi’s commenting on electrical issues.

As you can tell there are many here who have the experience and/or the credentials to comment.

As you can also see the opinions differ.

My suggestion is that all opinions be verified and that ‘you’ admit when you see something that you do not understand. By that I mean: “I have never seen this application before and I recommend that a lic. professional examine”.

If you are correct then great. If you are wrong then pay for the experts examination and consider it a learning experience.

By doing this you will build credibility without assuming liability.

Does this sound reasonable?

Example at our state meeting of the IAEI we took a 20 question test.
Mostly ESI’s.

Most tables had 5-7 people.

The best score on the test was a 17.5, and that table had a rep. from the NFPA.

Without personally being at your inspection some of ‘our’ opinions may or maynot be correct.

Please do not try to impress you clients by acting as an electrical expert.

I hope that this will be read as informative and not condescending.

Mike,

You stated “This has always been a sore spot with me. Hi’s commenting on electrical issues.”

I agree which is why for the past 3 months it has been an effort to educate versus just code posting…in other words…if I give code…I also EXPLAIN the reason for it and aspects of it so they understand clear.

I being an Electrician as well hear it from other guys…" Hi’s- Wanna Be Electricians who could not hack it " and all that jazz…

THIS is why on the water heater post…I posted my opinion…To me in new construction if your AHJ requires it then fine…Ours happen to not feel if done right it is subject to any damage and allowed " which may or maynot be NEC’s view…the NEC clearly states the local AHJ has the final say…so…

I agree with you 100%…in fact its not even NOMINAL…I agree with you 120%…

These words are from a WISE point of view…

“My suggestion is that all opinions be verified and that ‘you’ admit when you see something that you do not understand. By that I mean: “I have never seen this application before and I recommend that a lic. professional examine”.”

Again…could not agree more…this is why we educate…and why we do seminars that HI’s should make an effort to attend…gain from others experience and retain it…not debate it…:slight_smile:

Nice post fella…alot of thought went into it…:slight_smile:

Paul, I appreciate the explanations you post.
I did complain on here awhile back about “code pasters”.

A good inspector can recognize an important issue and write it up without any code language if they take the time to learn the “why and how” angle of electrical systems and the associated codes.

Around here, if you do not explain many writeups the agents will find a licensed electrician that will say it is ok. I recommend reinspections be done on all work performed due to this.

Bruce,

You are 100% correct…I am so glad you can see past just the code references…I give code to “DEFINE” the rule…then I like to break it down to understand how it effects the safety aspect of the HI’s profession.

You are also right…if you call something out you better be sure in YOUR area it is not allowed…NEC is one thing but the local AHJ has final say, The NEC in all cases is not the GOVERNING rule…the states MUST adopt it and the AHJ’s determine how to enlist it.

Code is the foundation...I guess I am luck in that I DO BOTH...so I can relate...which is why sometimes I tone down by NEC posts...unless they are for PURE educational purposes...:)

Bruce you stated reinspect. Do you mean you offer to reinspect after someone does work that you recommended?

I took college coarses on the IRC codes to be BI. Found out that I didn’t want to be a law enforcer, but using the education to reconize what I’m looking and what I should be looking at, yet your comments on this message board is what is making me a better HI on how to state my findings. I thank you for your input and pics, I tend to clip and save them in a folder to cut and paste onto my reports at times. It’s difficult at times to remember not quote or state codes. thanks again taking another elec. seminar in maryland on the 24th. (wife wonders at times, why I want to take so many coarses, “is it going to make you more $ she says?” I tell here maybe, but it does make me a better HI and it certainly can keep me out of trouble)

No, I do not recommend contractors but I do sometimes teach my client what to look out for when hiring them.