Electrical receptacle mystery

Pardon this query from a non-inspector, but something really unusual occurred in my home today and I’m anxious for an explanation.

I have a Christmas bubble light that I’ve had plugged into a kitchen counter-area receptacle every evening for about a month. It has an on-off switch, so I turn it on in the evenings and turn it off before I go to bed. This morning, I discovered that I’d forgotten to turn it off last night. This evening, when I went to turn it on again, it wouldn’t work. I thought I had burned it out.

Here’s where things get weird. The bubble light worked in a different receptacle, so I hadn’t burned it out after all. And the outlet worked when I tested it with other lights and small appliances plugged in. But it wouldn’t work with that bubble light!

(I also turned the breaker off and back on, just to see if that made a difference, but it didn’t.)

Any guesses as to what could be causing this? :weird:

UPDATE: Probably not a mystery after all – I think the unit itself is faulty. I just plugged it in again into a different outlet and the bulb flashed and burned out. I took the bulb out and replaced it, and the unit works again, even in the kitchen outlet. I’d delete this post, but I can’t. Carry on!^)

Bubble lights? Must of been the ‘Ghost of Christmas Past’!

Sounds like you sleuthed it out nicely Kate!

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Glad you got it handled Kate hope you and your’s had a great holiday.

Thanks for your responses, guys – made me smile! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope you all had a great Christmas, too, and that the New Year is being good to you and yours!

And you mentioned you couldn’t delete your post after you figured it out.
If you need to have anything “deleted” in the future and I mean anything, just look for a guy lurking around the Nachi offices. He goes by Nikolai, Nick, Uncle Nick etc.
He’s also called “The Deleter”…:shock:

Talk about ghost of Christmas past, I found this at yesterdays inspection… :stuck_out_tongue:

They stop making them?
Guess I am old.

Getting old is better than getting none. :wink: