exhaust fan over shower stall

I have an exhaust fan directly over the shower stall in the master bathroom and another fan over the tub in the hall bathroom. Anyone know what the current codes might say about it?

thanks for the advice.

Doug

Nothing really. Recessed fans and lighting are allowed if they are appropriately listed.

The code addresses “hanging” fixtures and such. . .

410.4 (D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord connected luminaires (fixtures), hanging luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.

Thanks Jeff,
I see can lights over the shower and tub but this is the first fan and since it’s open to the moisture, I thought it may be different. I appreciate your help.
Doug

Most fans for these appications do, in the manufacturer instructions, require GFI protection.

thanks, that’s a good idea, but how would I check it? It should be a GFCI breaker in the panel?

It could be in several places. Panel, in the bath, in the garage…

Remember, the age of the installation has a lot to do with it. If this is from the 1960’s or even 70’s it was likely not required.