Exposed Romex

Would you call out romex in a basement which is all attached, unprotected under the joists? The seller ran to the basement and took the coat hangers off the wiring as I was walking into the basement.

I’d point it out to the buyer, and tell them the risks of using it as a clothes line. But I wouldn’t even put it in my report. The picture you have is a pretty big example, but I see exposed romex under joists in almost every basement. Heck I’m looking at some in my own basement right now. It’s too common, and not that big of deal in the scheme of things. But that’s just me. Use your own gut as a guide.

I have some in my basement too.

Is it okay to install a plywood raceway perpendicular to the ceiling joists and staple the cabling on to the plywood?

No, I wouldn’t.

Hi to all,

I would be very tempted to write that one up together with Rays repair suggestion, however the bigger issue is, who the hell wired that place? I have never seen a professional electrician work that sloppily.

I believe there would be a good argument that the conductors have been left in a condition that makes them susceptible to damage.

Regards

Gerry

Amen.

If the stuff you can see is so poor, the stuff you can’t see is bound to be 10 times worse. Find some reason to call that out, and maybe (just maybe) they’ll get somebody in to dig deeper and find the stuff that’s really bad.

I agree to call it out for the poor workmanship alone.

Looks to me like a modular that the contractor did the electric himself. I see it all the time.

Not only is it crap work, but it is not permitted by code.
334.15©.

334.14© In Unfinished Basements. Where the cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running boards.

Thanks everyone. I did decide to put it in the report. The house is only 5 years old and has missing plates, missing GFCIs, reverse polarity in more than one outlet.