Extra conductors at the service splices?

What are the small conductors coming out of the splices?

Looks like a second weather-head with addition service entrance conductors.

So it’s OK for a single, 3-conductor service drop to feed two separate services? I guess there’s an amperage limitation and as long as it’s not exceeded this is OK.
Right?

Often a power company triplex can feed several houses.

Could it be for an arrestor?

CT’s for a remote meter?

“triplex” being the typical service drop of two hot legs and a neutral?

Yes, Kenton.

I thought so but this is for the Flash Card project and I can’t afford to assume. Thanks Jim.

Common issue of understanding how a service drop can work.

You may only have (1) service drop to a building…but you could have multiple taps from that drop to supply other services on a building if you are attempting to meet various allowances in Section 230.40 Ex.1 and others where applicable.

In fact, it is very common to have a single service drop at the commercial strip mall installation having many weather heads for the various buildings (separated by firewalls) or other types of installations.

The service drop and service entrance conductors overhead are only protected from overload (not Short Circuit or Ground-Fault). The NEC traditionally does not govern the tap and supply side of those taps which are utility related connections.

Depends on how many meters there . If theres two meters then its just a separate service. If theres only one meter and from what picture looks like it looks like a commercial building and thats the wiring for the CT (current transformers) . Both are acceptable practices . The last thing it could be would be a squater, ive seen them do this to usually not as neat but there smart. Do you have picture of building or meter pan.

Thanks Paul.

No Mat, it’s not my photo.

If I am correct, they are not even protected from overload. All conductors from the utility are considered 100% unfused both from a code and actual utility practice perspective.

Edit, unless of course you mean load calcs or single main breaker, then yes, that would protect them from overload.

Yes, they could be PTs but are more likely to be CTs.

The supply side is under the jurisdiction of the NESC, IEEE 141, and local tariffs. Local tariffs usually give standards authority to the local utility companies which are in turn are under the jurisdiction of a public utility commission. The local utility companies usually use the NESC and the IEEE standards in developing their standards or they use the NESC and IEEE standards directly.

No, that is incorrect.

No, that is incorrect.

Yes.

How so?