Finally found one that tripped the ALCI!

Finally found one that tripped the ALCI!

Are they ALCI’s or ICDI’s?

I just looked it up. They are ALCI’s. I wouldn’t have thought that. Here’s a link to the manual for the product in the video:

http://www.sunbeamhospitality.com/resources/docs/manuals/1632-040_m.pdf

Thanks Marc:

Here’s the NEC and NECH material on this subject:

**"422.41 Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances Subject to Immersion
**Cord-and-plug-connected portable, freestanding hydromassage units and hand-held hair dryers shall be constructed to provide protection for personnel against electrocution when immersed while in the on'' or off’’ position.
Although receptacles in bathrooms of dwelling units have been required to be protected by ground-fault circuit interrupters since the 1975 edition of the Code, many receptacles in existing bathrooms are not so protected. Cord-and-plug-connected appliances such as hand-held hair dryers, curling irons, and so on, which can and have accidentally fallen into bathtubs, causing fatalities, are required to be provided with some form of protective device that is part of the appliance. Three types of protectors comply with this requirement:

1. Appliance-leakage circuit interrupters (ALCIs)
  2. Immersion-detector circuit interrupters (IDCIs)
  3. Ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs)

ALCIs de-energize the supply to the appliance when leakage current exceeds a predetermined value. IDCIs de-energize the supply when a liquid causes a conductive path between a live part and a sensor, and GFCIs de-energize the supply when the current to ground exceeds a predetermined value.

440.65 Leakage Current Detection and Interruption (LCDI) and Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI)

Single-phase cord-and-plug-connected room air conditioners shall be provided with factory-installed LCDI or AFCI protection. The LCDI or AFCI protection shall be an integral part of the attachment plug or be located in the power supply cord within 300 mm (12 in.) of the attachment plug.
Generally, portable room air conditioners are used only on a seasonal basis and are removed and stored at the end of the cooling season. During the life of a room air conditioner, the installation and removal occurs many times, and there is an increased likelihood of a damaged cord as a result of the unit being set on the cord or pushed against it. To provide enhanced protection against fires initiated by damaged supply cords, all single-phase cord-and-plug-connected room air conditioners are required to be equipped with either leakage current detection and interruption protection or arc-fault circuit interrupter protection. The protective device is required to be installed in the appliance cord and must be within 12 in. of the attachment plug."

www.nfpa.org

Hmmmm…what hotel has the Sunbeams, Joe.

Were you like this when you were a kid? :smiley:

Holiday Inn

My Dad used his fingers when testing for voltages, and when I tried that I was jolted with 220 volts back then long ago, guess that’s how I got started experimenting. :cool:

“I’m not really a scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night”

I couldn’t resist.