Is this a five throw violation

Never been sure how many in a throw.
So can I say this needs a main breaker. (remote distribution panel by the way.)
Also there are a few cases where conductors are twist and tape.Do they need wire caps,or is electrical tape ok.
Yes I saw the green wire to the neutral bar. (siemens)

DSCN4641 (Small).JPG

You say it’s a remote distribution panel, so I take it that this panel has overcurrent protection ahead of it? If so, and this panel is in the same building as the overcurrent device protecting this panel’s feeder, then you don’t need a main in that panel at al.

DSCN4605 (Small).JPGThanks Mark ,I forgot about that as it is in the basement of this 3rd floor unit.
This panel was behind clothes in the closet by the way.
How about the taped conductors?.I always see them in wire caps.

RULE OF SIXES??? Can that panel be shut off in 6 throws?

From NACHI’s Electrical course.
“There is something known as the Rule of Sixes, which simply means that an electrical panel must be able to completely de-energize all branch circuits with the throw of a hand, or no more than 6 individual circuit breakers. This is the reason for main disconnecting fuses or breakers. If there are more than 6 breakers present in a panel, and the panel has no main disconnect fuse or breaker, it is considered a defect. Condominiums, homes, and apartments with the main disconnect on the exterior, do not require a main disconnect in the panel, as it can be disconnected at a main location before building entry.” MJ

Thanks , forgot as I normaly see the main disconnect in remote distrobution panels.
What about the tape though.(still no answer)

Wouldn’t matter anyhow. He said there’s already a disconnect for this panel in that meter center in the basement.

Tape?

Conductors must be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy.

All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors are required to be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors, or with an insulating device identified for the purpose.

[FONT=Times-Roman]

[/FONT]

I’m having a heck of a time finding it, but Im pretty sure your answer is " use a wire nut" I think it’s covered under article 250 Grounding and Bonding of the NEC.

Yeah for JOE! Thanks

OK I will add that to the other defects.
Thanks Joe.
Next time just say tape sucks.:slight_smile:

I can’t tell from the pic, but sometimes in older wiring, you may have a crimped connector under the tape, which would be OK (as long as it is crimped correctly, not just squashed with pliers.)

Wiring'65.jpg

Not the case here as I checked.
Forum limits res.There was also a open conductor in that panel along with a few other problems.
Thanks for the reminder though.