Fuse Panel Questions

• Does anyone recommend up grades on fuse panels?
  • Does anyone recommend further review?
  • Can fuse lugs be double tapped? like breakers?
  • Should a fuse panel have a directory like breakers? (i.e. labeled)
  • Do insurance company’s balk at fused homes?
  • Does anyone care?:roll:

… YES CYA

In my area it is very hard or impossible to get insurance with a fuse panel .
I always write it up with please check with you insurance company as some might not want to give insurance .

Recommend immediate complete service upgrade to breaker panel…

And if the rest of the home is electrical poor I add

and rest of home a complete check over, repair as Required.
Roy Cooke

Fuse panels are pretty much a thing of the past in this area. Some of the insurance companies insist on 100 amp main breakers even though 60 Amp is accepted in the code for dwellings up to 861 Sq ft.

100 amp up to 24 circuits.

</IMG>

Roy I have never had any insurance co GIVE Insurance.:wink: :oops: , always they want money.
</IMG></IMG>

Cute Vern Loved it Roy

Vern, I guess you are quoting the CEC? There is no “861 sq/ft” rule in the NEC. The lower limit on services in NEW homes is 100 amps. Old homes were obviously different.
Also there is NO 24 breaker rule. The limit is 42 regardless of panel size.

Many folks have misconceptions about fuses. Fuses are actually better than breakers in most cases. There is NOTHING wrong with fuses.
The problems arise with equipment the age of a typical fuse service. Most often it is well beyond it’s service life. This is not to say I have not seen very clean and healthy fuse panels. I have.

I persoanlly think to automatically “*Recommend immediate complete service upgrade to breaker panel… *” of a clean and safe fuse panel is a bit reactionary.
I believe the equipment should be examined and it’s condition listed.

I have to say…I agree with Speedy on this one…

Question 1: Does anyone recommend up grades on fuse panels?
Answer: If the fuse panel is in good shape and meeting the load requirements I would not recommend simply because it is a fuse panel. However, if it is less than 100A I would recommend future upgrade to meet todays electrical needs. But not just because it is a fuse panel.
Question 2: Does anyone recommend further review?
Answer: Sure…in the way of saying the above information…but again NOT just because it is a fuse panel…fuse panels are safe if not safer.
Question 3: Can fuse lugs be double tapped? like breakers?
Answer: Nope…still the same as breakers…unless listed for multiple conductors…but more than not…NOPE !
Question 4:Should a fuse panel have a directory like breakers? (i.e. labeled)
Answer: Yes, can’t expect the home owner to know what to cut off in a emergency and the NEC has required labeling for some time…that I would recommend.
Question 5: Do insurance company’s balk at fused homes?
Answer 6: Depends on the insurance company…fuses are not so bad…its the capcity that is the problem but they worry more about AL wiring than fuses. It all has to do with capacity to IF they want upgraded to breakers over fuses…which really has to do with panel size…versus a fuse versus breaker thing.
Question 6: Does anyone care?:roll:
Answer: I do or i would not have replied…:)…Speedy cares also…:)…oh EDIT…ROY cares also…he replied…oh and Vern also…see…we all care…:slight_smile:

Thanks guys (Paul, speedy, Roy and Vern) for your posts. I just needed reassurance on those items. I dont call fuse panels out unless something is wrong but I just wanted to know what the experts thought on the lines of the questions asked. Much thanks!

No problem Peter…Thats what we are here for…:slight_smile: