more than one GFCI on circuit

Saw this on an occupancy check off sheet today, fail “two GFI on one circuit”. Is this legit or is the local AHJ just making stuff up. I know multiple GFCI’s on the same circuit are a waste of money and a nuisance but are they really a code violation?

If they were redundant, I would call it out.

At the same time I have my 2 bathroom receptacles and the front exterior receptacle on the same circuit. I have the 2 baths on one GFCI but fed the exterior from the line side so it has its own GFCI. 1979 house didn’t have any GFCI to begin with.

You can put as many GFCI devices on a circuit as you want the NEC does not care.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought, this is the first time I have ever seen this comment.

It’s another one of the electrical myths, just like ground up is a code requirement. :roll:

Myth or not it does not add additional protection and can become a pain in the backside.

1 Like

That’s why I describe it as a nuisance. It’s not a hazard or a deficiency.
It can be a real nuisance trying to find which GFCI to reset if more than one trips.

1 Like

I’m curious, if you put this in a report how do you write it up?

Thanks Robert, and another question for you.
A house wired with the old 18 gauge equipment grounds cut off at the receptacles, would you not be better off to just install a GFCI Breaker for that circuit rather than redundant GFCI receptacles?:slight_smile:

You could just change one receptacle and protect the entire circuit. A GFCI circuit breaker might be easier unless you know where the first receptacle in the circuit is located.

If I discover it I note it. Simple.

Sometimes the test will trip the gfci ahead of it and force me to go looking as the one I’m standing in front of will fail to reset.

1 Like

Or it can add a level of convenience since you no longer need to look to see which gfi tripped. Depends on how they were wired.

I think it would be extremely rare for more than one gfi to trip from the same event.

Multiple gfi’s would not be needed if the downstream is wired from the load terminals .

You are assuming the one I’m standing near is the one that tripped or that the gfci feeding mine hasn’t already been tripped.

1 Like

No I was not. I was stating that there is more than one way to wire multiple gfis.

Don’t care. You are imagining the wrong situation.

2 Likes

Maybe not so obvious . Some seemed to not see the convenience of multiple gfis so only the one at the point of use tripped.

I agree, it would be a better idea to have multiple GFCI receptacles on a single circuit. If you had a three level house with a bathrooms on each floor and one receptacle circuit it would be a better design to have a GFCI receptacle in each bathroom so if it were to trip it would trip locally instead of somewhere else like in the basement when you’re on the second floor.

Now you both don’t get it.

What is being described is a second gfci connected to the load side of the first gfci. :roll:

1 Like

You’re not following along. Still works just fine but that’s not what the OP stated.