GFCI location

I do not mean to be a pest.
I have looked through the NEC and can’t find one reference to what several LARGE contractors, all building large residential projects by the way, have said to me verbatim about GFCI outlets and placement.

The GC: Only one GFCI outlet is required as long as one is present in the branch circuit.
I am in disbelief this happened again and again.
They could not understand basic compliance I pointed out in the report.
A kitchen basin with 2 outlets on each side.
Both outlets fell within the required distance.

I tell them they are mistaken but do not be offended.
That code can be hard to interpret. especially when its all English and interpretation into the French language is at times IMPASSABLE/IMPOSSIBLE!

AM I WRONG?

I tried to trip the “unidentified” ha ha ha circuit in front of one of one GC.
You can guess what happened.
I will look into it but I understand… yada, yada yada.

My interpretation is that the outlet/s
1: It must be identifiable.
2: It must function.
3: GFCI’s are placed within the NEC’s designated/required assigned areas of the home, the garage and outdoors.

Could any one show me if I am wrong.
But I can not get my head around no identification.

Thanks again.

Only one GFI in the circuit is needed as the downstream receptacles can be wired from the load terminals and receive the protection.

Under the NEC all receptacles serving the countertop need GFI protection.

All counter top outlets need to be GFCI protected.

Whats’s the question?

Did you try to trip the second outlet by the test button on the GCFI Receptacle, and if so did it shut down the both receptacles?

Only one GCFI in the circuit is needed, as long as the downstream receptacles are wired from the load terminals they will receive the GCFI protection.

If you attempted to trip the circuit with the test button and the GCFI Receptacle triped but the other receptacle did not also shut down, then that circuit is wired improperly. Call it out as such.

Terry, if you can understand Robert. please translate.

He was quite clear in his questions (Plural)

He found a receptacle that was in a location that should be GCFI protected and was not “identified” as such.

In talking with a general contractor, he was given the proper answer (almost) which made him question what was going on.

In attempting to fail the circuit in a fault condition it did not function as required. (Hence my question as to attempting to properly trip the circuit with the test button on the GCFI Receptacle and then testing the other Receptacle for power )

His main concern is the Receptacle was not identified as a GCFI protected circuit.

At least that’s what I got out of it.

Which is not required.

He is in Canada so his concern about what the NEC says seems illogical.

https://www.google.ca/webhp#q=wiring+a+gfci+outlet+diagram

1. Images for wiring a gfci outlet](https://www.google.ca/search?q=wiring+a+gfci+outlet+diagram&biw=1200&bih=593&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Jps5U_vUEMPO2wW0jYHQBw&ved=0CCcQsAQ)

Great info Roy,
Thanks

1. Do all counter top reciprocals need to be protected if there is a basin?
  2. Do reciprocals near a basin in other areas other than a kitchen need to be GFCI?
  3. Do outdoor reciprocals need to be GFCI?
  4. By placing a GFCI outlet in any part of the branched circuit lead to downstream conductors being GFCI protected?

Thank you Michel.
You answered one of my questions.
As to the other.

As noted above, GFCI protection has been required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles in the bathroom area of a dwelling unit for more than 20 yr.

GFCI protected devices are also required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles located in garages and grade-level portions of unfinished or finished accessory buildings used for storage or work areas of a dwelling unit [210.8(A)(2)].

I could not find any exceptions to my questions in the NEC 210.8(A)(2)
The exceptions did not fit the GC’s rebuttal of only only installing one GFCI outlet.
NOTE: All outlet were readily accessible.

Exception: Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied by a dedicated branch circuit for electric snow-melting or deicing equipment shall be permitted to be installed in accordance with Article 426.28.

Robert stick to the CEC and stop trying to interpret the NEC.

Why?
The province uses several sources for code reference, the UBC for structure and is undergoing changes again.
Why not NEC?

Does Canada reference the NEC or the CEC?

Hope that helps

Good question Michel.

Every province has its own code source.
Ontario has there own.

I was told the structure is under the UBC or universal building code.
CSA standards can be applied as well as the NEC.

Great question.
I will ask the RBQ

The RBQ is designated to be Quebec’s building authority and oversee new building compliance.

Thanks Chris.

If I trip a upstream outlet the GFCI breaker downstream will trip and need to be reset.
Yes, If wired correctly there would be GFCI protection at all Downstream outlets.

I was told it would have to be slaved.
Again thanks.

I used to inspect equipment intended for Ontario.

They some additional requirements but used the CEC as the base standard.

What you’re saying is not feasible. Breakers are Upstream from all outlets, not downstream.

Where a province does not have its own legally recognized building code, the National Building Code of Canada is in effect.

As far as electrical code is concerned, the same applies. Either its a provincial code, or in the case of Canada, the National Electrical Code.

Typically all related building codes in Canada are derivatives of the national standard with their own provincial flavours or nuances added to the mix.