GFCI reset location

On today’s inspection when I was testing the kitchen counter top receptacles on the ones that were protected downstream I heard it pop but was struggling finding the reset. So I figure I would find as I went along.

So I am still in kitchen an I wanted to look at the gas connection under the range top and there it was. Kind of a pain to take out utensils and drawers to reset. Then the house cat is in the drawer. I lost the cat after I rang the door bell, it was great. The cat is sniffing in my tool bag, I ring the bell and the cat goes flying across the room, it really freaked out when I tested the door bell.

Getting back to the GFCI.

Is it required to have the labels on the GFCI that are downstream and lack equipment grounds?

Also are there any specifications on reset locations?

If Jeff Pope reads this thanks for the assist on the sub panel breaker.

157910 018 (Small).jpg

GFCI protected receptacles should be labeled accordingly. The reset simply needs to be accessible, and apparently, this one is.

I see “awkward” placement of GFCI resets quite often. I have no problem recommending “relocation for convenience purposes.”

Happy to help earlier. It was a good question. Maybe you can post the question for others to learn as well.

Thanks Jeff, I will post as I see this quite often and usually when I run into again I forget what I learned.

Downstream labels are only required by the NEC when there is no equipment ground present. The required label information is dependent on the type of receptacle:

I’ve seen resets in garage ceilings, behind washing machines, beneath low decks, and inside the crawl space to name a few. I recommend relocation when logic suggests it would be a problem. (Who wants to crawl 1/2 way through the crawl space to reset a tripped GFCI? I saw one like that.)

Same here, they are accessible, just not easily.

Accessible means very little to code inspectors, I was doing a predrywall and noticed a junction box in an attic that would end up being impossible to find after it was covered with insulation and very tricky to get there since it was near the eave. The code inspector was there too so I showed it to him. Without hesitation he said it was technically accessible and nothing he could write up. I said well, I’ll be writing it up and he said, “good I don’t blame you one bit”. The code needs to be changed to make some things “readily accessible”.

I agree - I have spend untold hours looking for the elusive “click” (and you only get one chance :mrgreen:). My concern is that the downstream receptacles are seldom labeled as “GFCI protected”. Has anyone ever seen a durable label used for this purpose? The ones that they furnish with receptacles are flimsy and pretty worthless, IMHO (even though they would satisfy the requirement if and when installed).

No one uses those labels because they’re pretty ugly and for the most part not required. Maybe an engraved faceplate would look better.