GFI

Do GFI’s have an operational life span? Being somewhat mechanical maybe they wear out.

If I had to guess I would say that the cheap electrical components would fail first.

Based on the fact that the manufacturers recommend “monthly testing,” my answer would be YES, although I’ve never seen a recommendation that they be replaced every X# of years.

I would bet that if you were to contact Leviton, they would provide you with a more accurate answer.

I have had one in my bathroom now for over 15 years and has not failed yet.
On the other hand, GFCI’s in the construction field, only last about 6-12 months. Mainly due to exposure to the elements and tripping occurrences. :slight_smile:

Go with Leviton I have not found one yet that has failed in HI testing.

There are two types of GFCIs that can be installed, “GFCI circuit breakers” and “GFCI receptacles”. While many people prefer to use GFCI receptacles inside the house and circuit breaker types for the outside power. The two main disadvantages of GFCI circuit breakers over receptacles can be cost and inconvenience (resetting), but GFCI circuit breakers will typically outlast GFCI receptacle.

And while one of the common complaints concerning a GFCI receptacle is their short life span. Even though some can last a very long time, others just a few years, and some can fail shortly after installation. Typically using a higher grade GFCI receptacle will give a longer life span; look for specification grade, commercial grade, and hospital grade. These are much higher quality units for just a few dollars more.

http://www.electricalmarketplace.com/%2FGFCI-Receptacle-Information-W1.aspx
:slight_smile:

Nice reference. I find it funny that the author would use the words 120 volts and 220 volts in the same article. :roll:

Probably because he was addressing a Work Shop Setting, like I have in my basement or others in their garage.
Only reason I see Robert. :slight_smile:

I was just pointing out that you cannot have 120 and 220 volts in the same system. A technical article should make an effort to get that right. :smiley:

I see your point, it could be misleading to some viewers, but I thought nothing of it at that moment. :slight_smile:

Leviton has a pocket guide on there web site If you don’t have it, get it. More new types of Outlets coming on the market and you have to keep up with the times. www.leviton.com

Now they have outlets with USB ports…who would have thunk!

Scott -
Do you subscribe to “Structure Tech” on Facebook? I saw that too…tried to find if they were listed…

GFI’s from the 80’s are mostly all bad or have been replaced already.

The later models seem to be more reliable so far.

The latest versions do a self check when you trip and reset so you will start seeing more failures during the inspection.

Once this gets to be a “pattern” it will be time to recommend the electrician test them while he is there repairing the other issues found if the house is occupied with the owners relying on these to operate for daily use.

Would you want to watch one fail on the day before a holiday when the owners have company coming on a tract home with all bathrooms on the same GFCI?

I find more GFCI outlets fail due to there inability to retain the testing device securely within the outlet.

Hi Bruce
Up here you’re lucky to get 7 years out of an exterior GFI. They rarely get used but the cold takes its toll.
The bathroom GFIs just keep on tickin.

Can you point me to where you get that information. In regards to the GFCI Circuit Breakers outlasting a GFCI Receptacle. Typlically the circuitry is the same just configured differently. Misuse and potential damage from end users maybe but shorter lifespan based on what study?