Ghost voltages

So we’re in the walk-in attic and the gal says…What about this bare wire…Is it live? I said no, that’s an abandoned radio antenna. But, since I’m right there I get out my VoltAlert tester and test it. It goes off! lights up, and rings! What the?
So I investigate. Abandoned bare 18 ga steel wire traveling 4x across the attic (aprox 60’). It’s mounted via spikes and small insulators…No other contact…
Before moving on, I checked local conduit and the exterior siding for voltage…Nothing…I tell her I’ve witnessed strange voltage occurrences over the years and we’ll have to file it under that heading…But, that I’ll research it.
The first web-sight I go to is a guy lighting a diode or LCD with a small loop of bare wire saying that radio signal can do that…
The next sight, Brad Deal, a CA NACHI inspector wrote a 12 page article on volt testers and how to use them…
I believe now that the reason for this false reading is “Ghost Voltages” or like the first guy said…Radio signal conduction…
Thought someone would find it of interest.
http://www.homeinspect2020.com/uploads/Non_Contact_Voltage_Testers_and_Personal_Risk_Management.pdf
Be safe…
bill o

Good one thanks Bill much appreciated

I have noticed that tapping myself with a ticker will make it go off. Strange.

Remember that these tools are not really electricity detectors. They are “electromagnetic field detectors”, thus the reason they are non-contact and can sense through the plastic coating on the wire. The body can carry small electrical or magnetic fields that could cause a blip on your sensor. Think about rubbing your feet across the carpet on a cold, dry day and touching your friends ear.

Didn’t your mother ever say that you were full of potential?

Jeff