ground and common together again

Ok, sometimes I get so caught up on the process I do t know nor ask why but today I’m breaking that norm when I realized I don’t know why…
Three of four panels I inspect have only one grounding bar and both common and grounds are connected together on the bar. That’s 6-7 panels a week
This is a defect but why then was is accepted by code inspectors ?
Was this something that changed at some point as most homes I inspect are 30+ years old.
Newer homes will have grounding bar and neutral bar separated as I was taught to be correct.

What do you mean by panels, are these services?

Yes, main service panels

It’s not an issue in the main service panel. You’ll notice that if there are two terminal busses that the will have a bonding strap between them.

You mean under the same lug?

I think that is what he meant, my bad.

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Electrical%20Distribution/Panelboards/0100DB0705.pdf

I only knew what he meant because I still speak “newbie”

You got it Troy … So when a panel is called out for neutral and grounds together they are referring to them under the same lug and not on the same bar? Wow, all this time I have thought they were to be on separate bars and you are right they are bonded so it never made since to me… Thanks

Sorry JJ, you were both right, :slight_smile:

Just my two cents, if it didn’t make sense to you, it should not have gone into your report.

Also this only applies to a service panel. A remote panel (sub-panel) is required to have the EGC’s and neutrals separate.

JJ that’s worth at least a quarter. I was not writing them up because of my confusion. It’s the sub panel I was confusing … Got it now
Thanks for the clarification guys!

Sub-panels in detached structures were allowed to have a 3 wire feeder if no other metallic paths existed between the buildings. The neutral was again re-bonded like a service panel.

It needs it’s own GEC and electrode in this set up right?

Yes.

Don’t be a punk. Everyone knew what he meant.

ahahahaha roflmao

Really? I didn’t until I read his additional posts.

Robert is far from a “punk.” Stick around for a while and you will see for yourself…

Not if a single circuit. A MWBC is considered one circuit.

It makes a difference if it is a service panel vs any other panel.

I too would echo Jeff’s comment about Robert hardly being a punk. His posts are always informative. He knows about his subject.