grounding electrode encased in concrete - NOT UFER

This is difficult to search for - when you put the words “Grounding Electrode” and “concrete” together, you get UFER.

This is not an UFER. The concrete was poured around the driven grounding electrode. I remember a reference some time ago that this was not acceptable, but maybe I’m incorrectly confusing that it’s not OK if you can’t see the connection.

Is either/both/neither of these scenerios acceptable?

Thanks

The connection to a driven rod is not required to be accessible, it does need to be 8’ in the earth. What size GEC is that?

Thanks

The first I believe is a #4. 300A 3PH service if I remember correctly. Second is a #6, 100A 1PH service. Here’s the other end.

Shouldn’t the GEC be protected from physical damage.

I think the GEC & the gas meter should both be protected - that’s a driveway.

This stuff may be grandfathered in if it passed inspection back in the day, but my '08 codebook has some issues with it

All GECs “shall be protected where exposed to physical damage.” #8 must be protected where exposed, regardless of physical damage. The “conductor or it’s enclosure shall be securely fastened to the surface on which it is carried.” All that is in 250.64(B).

#8 is the smallest GEC allowed, table 250.66

If the electrode clamp gets encased in concrete it must have embossed on it “CE” (concrete encased).

And the aforementioned full 8’ must be below the surface.

*(http://www.mikeholt.com/videodisplaynew.php?pageid=4139)

250.64 Grounding Electrode Conductor Installation.

(B) Grounding Electrode Conductor Protection. Where exposed, grounding electrode conductors sized 8 AWG and smaller must be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.

Author’s Comment: Ferrous metal raceways containing the grounding electrode conductors must be made electrically continuous by bonding each end of the ferrous metal raceway to the grounding electrode conductor [250.64(E)].Grounding electrode conductors 6 AWG copper and larger can be run exposed along the surface if securely fastened to the construction and not subject to physical damage.*