Grounding help please

This house is well water. Plastic supply coming in, then that is transitioned to copper. Is this house properly grounded from what is in photos? I found nothing outside indicating a ground rod or any other wire run anywhere else.
I have not seen this before.

Thanks in advance.

Geeeez! Ill get this photo rotating thing soon enough! sorry all.

Since there water pipe in the ground is non-metallic it cannot be used as a grounding electrode however the metallic piping system is required to be bonded to the electrical service.

There needs to be some sort of electrode, since there is no water pipe electrode typically you will see two ground rods or in newer construction a concrete encased electrode (CEE). Are photo’s #1 and #3 showing both ends of the same conductor?

Not from what I can see.

Read “Missing home grounding component” here:

Home Well Grounding, Conductors Sharing a Neutral and More | Electrical Contractor Magazine

Yes Robert. This is a first for me as well.

Thanks for further info.

Can you post a photo of the entire panel?

Sorry again, not messing with rotation at this time. Thanks again all! You are the best.

if the meter is grounded you are good to go for grounding

Cannot do it. Have the electrical grounded with a grounding rod.

Good point. In some locales they allow the GEC to terminate in the meter enclosure (around here the utilities they do not). The GEC can connect to the neutral at any point between the service drop and service disconnect so even though you do not see it in the panel it still may be connected elsewhere upstream of the service.

Here’s a nice graphic from Mike Holt:

http://www.ecmweb.com/sites/ecmweb.com/files/uploads/2009/03/3-19-09codeqaweb.jpg

While this may be the case, nothing shows a grounding electrode is present in this system. While the connection from the electrode can be made at may points ahead of and up to the service equipment we can all agree that GES is needed and shall be installed.

This is not totally accurate. The system still lacks a GES for lightning and transients and the connection to the meter via the grounded conductor would not satisfy the GES requirement. Now, could the GEC to the GE terminate to the grounded conductor in the meter, yes by the NEC it can but again just having a grounded meter doesn’t fulfil the GES requirements.

Although I agree with you, you are making an assumption that the GEC is not connected elsewhere like at the meter.

No different than other making the assumption it is. My assumption is better because the inspector went there and cant fine one…so it is a higher probability that there is not…saying that a connection to a meter than is “grounded” doesn’t meet the OP’s question.

I think we are splitting hairs here. As a HI if I see a 1/2 inch conduit running up the side of the house and terminating in the bottom of the meter base I assume the service is properly grounded and move on. To say other wise would require an electrician to come out and verify the obvious at an unnecessary cost to the seller.

IMO that’s a fair assessment, if the local utility allows the connection in the meter enclosure then the system is likely connected to the building GES.

I see no Hair Splitting…Here is what the OP originally asked “This house is well water. Plastic supply coming in, then that is transitioned to copper. Is this house properly grounded from what is in photos? I found nothing outside indicating a ground rod or any other wire run anywhere else.
I have not seen this before.”

So anything else based on the original posters question is irrelevant no matter how fair the assessment is. My response is 100% based on the fact the individual could not find any GES at the house they were inspecting. Assuming the meter enclosure is connected to a GES is not in question here. It might have been someone else’s question but it was not what the poster asked.

Paul’s correct the OP said he found nothing outside.